Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma

tag
serenevoice
Established Member

Credit Karma

How reliable is the scores on Credit Karma?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma

@serenevoice wrote:

pretty accurate for the full report, account/collections/inq...etc

the scores, not so much. 

Message 2 of 12
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@serenevoice wrote:

pretty accurate for the full report, account/collections/inq...etc

the scores, not so much. 

I agree collections/inq...etc, aka 'alerts', but the account is sometimes  like scores, not so much. A couple months back CK claimed my name had changed on TU, from my full middle name to just middle initial, which is what I always use, but it lowered the age of my TU account to only 1 yr. 6 mos, earning an "F" rating. My TU report on Cap One shows the correct TU age with oldest account at 26 years, earning an "A" rating.

Message 3 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

Like said, not at all. Unless you have a lender that is going to use VantageScore 3.0 haha. Just use it for monitoring and ignore the score Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

.Re: Credit Karma

For  me, it is just as accurate as most of the FICO scores out there  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the scores that they show, it varies. While their scores are Vantage 3.0, most lenders all use FICO. That being said, the content of the report on CK is good, but I would not trust the scores.

For example:

The score that they give me on my TU, my FICO is 12 pooints higher.

The score that they give me on my EQ, my FICO is 3 points lower.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

sometimes i log on to CK just to feel good about my scores.  740 for both TU and EQ, and myfico scores r in sig. lol

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@serenevoice wrote:

Let me put it this way. Draw up a dart board with 800+ in the middle, 700s, 650s, 600s, 550s, etc towards the outside - then throw some darts. Couldn't be that much worse, and may be more accurate, than the scores shown at CK.

CK also offers auto and home insurance scores, but those are frequently all over the map. Many complaints about them being way off / not reflective of any reality. CK's responses to such criticism lacked any real explainaton nor detail other than claiming they're scores used in the insurance industry. Needless to say I see those insurance scores seemingly disappeared from the CK site recently...

CK has a credibility problem. Sure several years ago, many were excited to get a free credit report along with a free score to look at, but much has changed since then. Real FICO scores are available through many different sources, including credit card issuers and various reduced priced venues. Many expect to see real FICOs.

Personally, the variance in CK scores is huge. My CK TU score 71 pts higher, even with all the same baddies, than my real FICO TU score. Sure, it feels good to see 632, but that's not reality yet - at best, CK is foretelling my future, though that's not reassuring, since my CK EQ score is likely about 20 pts lower than my real FICO EQ score.

Message 8 of 12
Pway
Valued Contributor

The scores are not reliable at all.  I just use CK for reporting, nothing else.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 9 of 12
jbsea
Established Contributor

I wonder why your scores are higher on creditkarma, my Fico score are better then my vantage scores.  But it was not always like that.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.