Regular Contributor
StartinOver

Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Another thought to keep in mind is that if you are unemployed you can get a free report. Does anyone know if you do this, do they report it anywhere, like in the employer section? For that reason it makes me hesitant to request it.

Second question: I have CCT right now, and recently got it reduced to 18.95. It looks like USAA does the same for a lesser price. Is that correct? Is there any other advantage to having USAA, or should I just ask CCT to give me a competitive price to stay?

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Mega Contributor
RobertEG

I think wowchad's strategy is excellent!

Contributor
indiasnowden

Thank you very much for this concise guide.  I find it very useful as I am currently shopping for a service.  I just signed up for the free service at Quizzle and am debating about the four month score improvement program at a pricey $75.  Can you tell us anything about the SmartCredit service that advertises as being an interactive option with their SmartApps?  I googled and found a few complaints of uauthorized credit card charges but that was it.  I cannot find any customer feedback posts on the actual service.  Thanks for any info anyone can offer.

Starting Score: EQ: 589 TU: 594 EX: 589 as of 5/1/10
EQ: 660 TU: 667 EX: 683 as of 3/5/2011 via PSECU
Current Score: EQ: 586 TU: 609 (walmart) as of 10/23/12 EX: 588 as of 9/8/12 Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
smallfry

indiasnowden wrote:

Thank you very much for this concise guide.  I find it very useful as I am currently shopping for a service.  I just signed up for the free service at Quizzle and am debating about the four month score improvement program at a pricey $75.  Can you tell us anything about the SmartCredit service that advertises as being an interactive option with their SmartApps?  I googled and found a few complaints of uauthorized credit card charges but that was it.  I cannot find any customer feedback posts on the actual service.  Thanks for any info anyone can offer.

No no no. Do not sign on for that.

Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

indiasnowden wrote:

I agree with smallfry. I use Quizzle only for the 2 free pulls each year for Experian. I don't look at their advice or their products.

You can learn everything you want to know about improving your scores for free...here at myFICO. Just read, and ask lots and lots of questions.

Regular Contributor
StartinOver

bump

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

StartinOver wrote:

Another thought to keep in mind is that if you are unemployed you can get a free report. Does anyone know if you do this, do they report it anywhere, like in the employer section? For that reason it makes me hesitant to request it.

Second question: I have CCT right now, and recently got it reduced to 18.95. It looks like USAA does the same for a lesser price. Is that correct? Is there any other advantage to having USAA, or should I just ask CCT to give me a competitive price to stay?

Bumping this?

Right...if you are unemployed you can get an additional copy of your report for free. There are other ways as well, including experiencing adverse action (e.g. closed account, CLD, etc.), placing a FA, being denied for credit, etc. Also some states allow for free copies. Finally, some CMSs will allow you to get some of your CRs for free directly from the CRA. I don't think they report that. Now if you applied for credit and included that you were unemployed, then they'll see that.

USAA is cheaper and hear it's the same. I'd consider switching.

Frequent Contributor
leah5570

Could you possibly add next to each service if the score is a FICO or a FAKO? I signed up for the free creditkarma and saw the TU score, and my report card. It showed the number of accounts, and how they advise on it, but not the actual report or any of the account names or info. Is that how it works on their site? Just wondering if the score is FICO. Also, their credit simulator said 6 months of on time payments would cause my score to drop 22 points. Weird. Thanks!

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
New Contributor
tbque

Ilecs, I am currently using the FreeCreditScore.com CMS which is very similar to the freecreditreport.com CMS. I have never checked my FICO scores yet. I am very immersed in credit repairing efforts right now and feel the need to be able to monitor my efforts on all 3 CRs and to be able to see progress through elevated scores as often as possible. What CMS would you recommend for me? Should I try the Credit Check Total CMS or is it best to use one with FICO scores? Thanks in advace for the help! I love myFico!!!

Starting Score: 03/30/10 EQ: 516 EX: 524 TU: 530
Current Score: 01/16/11 EQ: 664 TU: ? (FICOs) EQ: 660 EX: 633 TU: 645
Goal Score: 700

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

leah5570 wrote:

Could you possibly add next to each service if the score is a FICO or a FAKO? I signed up for the free creditkarma and saw the TU score, and my report card. It showed the number of accounts, and how they advise on it, but not the actual report or any of the account names or info. Is that how it works on their site? Just wondering if the score is FICO. Also, their credit simulator said 6 months of on time payments would cause my score to drop 22 points. Weird. Thanks!

I use Credit Karma but not for the scores. They are not the real deal. But it's not bad for tracking accounts, balances, etc. It pulls information from your TU report but doesn't supply much detail. As far as the simulator I don't use it or any other simulator. It seems like a waste of time but that's just me.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+