Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

tbque wrote:
Ilecs, I am currently using the FreeCreditScore.com CMS which is very similar to the freecreditreport.com CMS. I have never checked my FICO scores yet. I am very immersed in credit repairing efforts right now and feel the need to be able to monitor my efforts on all 3 CRs and to be able to see progress through elevated scores as often as possible. What CMS would you recommend for me? Should I try the Credit Check Total CMS or is it best to use one with FICO scores? Thanks in advace for the help! I love myFico!!!

Unfortunately, there's only a finite number of places you can get your FICO score and the only FICO score monitoring service out there is ScoreWatch and that's for EQ only. Because of that, I recommend mentally separating FICO scores from credit monitoring.

Per monitoring, I recommend a CMS that allows you to pull all 3. Moreover, if you are actively engaged in fixing your credit and you have a lot of things happening, I recommend a CMS that pulls all 3 reports daily. Your choices are limited, but I've used CCT in the past. Ignore the scores and advice of course, but the reported TLs gives you just enough info to know what's going on.

As you monitor your CMS, you can always hop onto myFICO to pull your EQ or TU report to track any score changes.

New Contributor
tbque

Thanks for the sound advice Marine and Ilecs. I think I will cancel my current CMS and go with CCT while I am actively repairing. And check FICO scores on myFICO every so often. Marine, have a safe and happy labor day from a fellow marine (albeit reservist). Ooh rah!!!

Starting Score: 03/30/10 EQ: 516 EX: 524 TU: 530
Current Score: 01/16/11 EQ: 664 TU: ? (FICOs) EQ: 660 EX: 633 TU: 645
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

tbque wrote:
Thanks for the sound advice Marine and Ilecs. I think I will cancel my current CMS and go with CCT while I am actively repairing. And check FICO scores on myFICO every so often. Marine, have a safe and happy labor day from a fellow marine (albeit reservist). Ooh rah!!!

Another thing to note about CCT. When you first sign up, they put you in a "trial period" for a week or so if I recall. I'd call it a probationary period myself. You can't pull daily as advertised during that time period. Once it has passed, then you can pull daily. FYI.

New Contributor
tbque

Thanks for the info. Ilecs. I signed up for CCT today, my other CMS will still be in effect until 6/6 so I will be able to still pull EX daily for awhile until CCT kicks in.

Contributor
Carbusys

tbque: how did raise your scores 30-50 points in two months?

Starting: TU-605; EQ-603; EX-593
Current: (8/11/2010) TU-691; EQ-652; EX-655
Goal: 700 Club

New Visitor
johnmt

[ Edited ]

Old thread, but I'll say that Chase ID Protection (used to be open to anyone -- now you need a Chase account) is pretty good.  They pull all three reports in great detail.  The service claims that you "must wait 30 days between obtaining new report" but that freeze drops after 72 hours.  So you can actually pull your reports 10 times a month, if you had the interest.  Very good customer service too.  Just be aware that Experian payment histories are sometimes listed backwards (no idea why).  Not a problem if you know which end to start reading from.  I get credit alerts within 12 hours of an inquiry being made.  There are are also FAKOs listed for each bureau.  I pay $9.95 a month but I think it's higher ($12+) for new people.

New Contributor
tbque

Hey Carbusys, basically I raised my scores by doing some of the things that are suggested on these boards. I was past due on car loan so I immediately became cuurent. I had no revolving credit, so I opened two CC (CapOne and Orchard) but only Orchard is reporting thus far. And I also had some derogs deleted and PIF some others. Still have some more work to do but I feel so much better because I am being proactive about repairing and rebuilding. Good luck to you on your journey!

Contributor
xchap

Pretty weird stuff.  I have equifax monitoring , and fico TU monitoring .

But I have had 8 alerts form equifax monitoring. From paid account , to a raise in total open credit, to changing in  balances, all recent....From may until now.

fico TU monitoring haven't pickup not a single one.I have fico TU monitoring since April/2010........ 

If one would have a indentity theft fico would not be good at picking it upon would be screwed waiting for fico TU to report it...That sucks!!!!!!!!

I might try out CCT to see if its any better..........

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 760
Goal Score: 800

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

xchap wrote:

Pretty weird stuff.  I have equifax monitoring , and fico TU monitoring .

But I have had 8 alerts form equifax monitoring. From paid account , to a raise in total open credit, to changing in  balances, all recent....From may until now.

fico TU monitoring haven't pickup not a single one.I have fico TU monitoring since April/2010........ 

If one would have a indentity theft fico would not be good at picking it upon would be screwed waiting for fico TU to report it...That sucks!!!!!!!!

I might try out CCT to see if its any better..........

FICO's TU monitoring service (TUQM) isn't like EQ's service. TUQM only picks up changes that could impact your identity or factors that could lead to ID theft. It won't monitor your report for changes on stuff like new baddies, account changes, balance changes, etc. like EQ's service does.

IMO, TUQM is better for getting a discounted price on your TU FICO reports. DW uses TUQM for the score discounts and also subscribes to CCT to monitor daily report changes. Both go well together if tracking report changes and FICO score progress are a goal.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Updated some of the first page today:

ChaseID - filled in some missing info with input from a prev. poster.

PrivacyMatters - Changed the terms and clarified my experience with them.

CreditReport.com - The price increased and terms changed.

CitiIdentity Monitor - changed terms.

EQ's DebtWise - price dropped.

Triple Advantage - added an affiliate.

...and added a new CMS: SmartCredit

I also temporarily disabled some of the links, but hoping they'll be back soon.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+