Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit NIGHTMARE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit NIGHTMARE

I have quite a bit of debt from college - several credit cards, utilities, school loans. About 2 years ago I got myself into a really bad place and completely abandoned all of my debt & responsibilities. I just got out of rehab and had flurry of collections letters at my mom's house. I pulled my credit report and found that there are several more that I don't have any letters from & I can't figure out how to contact them in order to settle the debt... How do I actually find out who, what, how much I owe all of these creditors? I don't remember my account numbers or anything... Do I just call the credit departments of all of the creditors & see where I get transferred to?

Also, some are collections agencies, some are law offices that claim that cannot settle - is that true?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit NIGHTMARE

Hi Bradley and Welcome,

I am happy to hear you are back on track!  If you have any items on your credit report that are not yours. You can dispute them with each credit reporting agency.

I am sure some of the pros will answer your questions. But I recommend getting your favorite soda and reading a lot of posts!  They are valuable

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a CA that were a law firm that settled and deleted for me. If you know some of your creditors I would try contacting them to at least see if they still own them or sent them to collections and maybe they can update you...Someone else here can/will assist you further...Good luck at starting over....

Message Edited by bren39 on 09-25-2007 05:41 PM
Message 3 of 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Hey bradley

Congrats to you and  welcome aboard!  Yup.... read read read, especially the Credit 101 and all the stickies.  Not just today... but for a few weeks or until you are certain you know how to approach.  Make sure you pull all 3 credit reports once you have read and have some sort of game plan... and don't dispute anything from the free reports, just the paid ones, as the creditors have less time to dig up any possible sustaining information or headaches.    Don't make any calls... the creditor needs to prove the debt... you don't want to open any cans of worms at this point.

This is a great forum.  Hope you stick around!   
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

bradley81 wrote:
I have quite a bit of debt from college - several credit cards, utilities, school loans. About 2 years ago I got myself into a really bad place and completely abandoned all of my debt & responsibilities. I just got out of rehab and had flurry of collections letters at my mom's house. I pulled my credit report and found that there are several more that I don't have any letters from & I can't figure out how to contact them in order to settle the debt... How do I actually find out who, what, how much I owe all of these creditors? I don't remember my account numbers or anything... Do I just call the credit departments of all of the creditors & see where I get transferred to?

Also, some are collections agencies, some are law offices that claim that cannot settle - is that true?

Hi Bradley, welcome, You need to match your OC to the CA if you can. look at account #s and amounts. Sometime you can match a CA with the CC CO.
Here is a link that is for newbies along with the abbrevs that we use and link to freq.requested threads.

please ask as many questions as you want.

very important...you must know you SOL before starting anything. This way you will not start & end up being sued.
more detailed SOL

the difference between CRTP and SOL      if you do not know
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.