Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Issues...Advise please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Repair Issues...Advise please!

I am so thankful I found this site! I want to buy a house and began the journey with my Mortgage Loan Originator pulling my credit reports. I was shocked to see my actual scores! (I knew they were bad but I wasn't sure how bad) I have a median score of 612, despite the fact that I have a repo and about 7 collections/chargeoffs! The good news is that the baddies should start dropping off of my CR in Jan of 08 and should be finished by Aug 08! Ok, now the bad news...Those 7 baddies make up about 12 TL's good and bad. Well...needless to say, when those TL's are gone I will have a significantly short credit history and mix of credit. The oldest TL is about 10 years old. The most recent TL is a cc opened Mar 07 (cl $300) util currently 9%. My credit report said that my credit history is too recent, even with the baddies! Well, I was wondering if I should start applying for credit now (have been getting pre approvals for store cards and cc's) or if I should wait and let my good TL's age until I am ready to apply for Mortgage? I am worried about inquiries (I have 4 now). Credit report says too many inquiries! Help!!!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Repair Issues...Advise please!

Hi LH, and welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of information here for you, and many knowledgeable people here to help you.

Inquiries ding you about 10 points each, more or less. Takes a year for the effects to lessen.

What are your current trade lines, limits, and balances? Any recent lates? And how many lates on your CR's total up to?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I am just getting back....been sick.Smiley Sadso, thanks for responding Sylvia. Three of my TL's are student loans (one of which is almost paid off-less that $300 left). The other two equal about $8000.00. These are reporting with no lates, excellent payment history. I also have one cc, Mastercard 9% APR, 9% util $300 cl, opened March 2007. No lates, excellent payment history! Should I ask for a limit increase or should I wait for the anniversary of the card? Should I expect an increase in FICO's when the anniversary comes? If so, how much is common? Most of the other TL's are store cc's, few medical bills, one repo all charge offs/collections. I am going to PFD the more recent ones, but most will fall off within the next year. Hope this helps! This brings me to my initial question...should I start to reply to preapproval offers, or wait for the baddies to fall off? 
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't had any responses in a while...was hoping for some advice. Well, anyway...I applied to three cc's yesterday. Approved for two, turned down for one! Smiley SadMy advice, only apply for the ones you know you will get. Some interesting things should happen to my FICO's this month!
Message 4 of 10
Boswd
Valued Contributor

I would wait for your baddies to start to fall off and in the mean time I would start building up your savings and keep your utilization on your current cards down.

Also since you are looking to purchase a house I wouldn't go buck wild applying for credit cards,  keep your applications to a min.   when the baddies start to fall off your score will improve and you just might actually be able to qualify for better credit cards, but again keep those to a minimum.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You never know which you will definitely get though.

Hooters or Kays is pretty easy but others may not be.
Sometimes credit limit increases are a crapshoot too.

If you don't plan to use your credit for a major purchase you CAN start applying anywhere and everywhere but you will probably take an immediate hit, though as they age things get better.

But inquiries stay for what seems like forever.

So every upside seems to have a downside when it comes to credit, at least that's my opinion.

Great credit line - inquiry
Denial - inquiry
Credit app spree - INQUIRIES

I did a mini spree in September, felt great but the inquiries are killing me. Though some were not authorized and some were for limit increases which should have been soft inquiries. Equifax is the only one who responds to inquiry issues so I'll be paying for it for a while but I did get like $15000 in new credit and a new car.

There are different ways to go about mortgages too but again inquiries can hurt because they lower your score.

I probably didn't even answer the question Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply...I guess I just got excited with the pre approval offers. I will ease off of the cc's. I think I am done for now.  I want to see how FICO's will react to this recent activity. Pretty good APR's and no AF's! Cl's low $500.00, but it's a start.
Message 7 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

LH wrote:
Thank you for your reply...I guess I just got excited with the pre approval offers. I will ease off of the cc's. I think I am done for now.  I want to see how FICO's will react to this recent activity. Pretty good APR's and no AF's! Cl's low $500.00, but it's a start.

We have to start somewhere.  Keep the util low and have patience  Smiley Happy

The second is the hard part
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There has been some interesting things going on in FICO Land! The aftermath of my credit card application spree is here! Two new cc's, 1 new inquiry....score drops 7 points! I am not going to panic yet, I know it will recover.  One new question...I noticed that the other cards I applied for had no inquiries report.  Any opinions? Thanks!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They probably pulled a different CRA.
Did you check EX and TU?

@Anonymous wrote:
There has been some interesting things going on in FICO Land! The aftermath of my credit card application spree is here! Two new cc's, 1 new inquiry....score drops 7 points! I am not going to panic yet, I know it will recover. One new question...I noticed that the other cards I applied for had no inquiries report. Any opinions? Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.