Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair companies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Repair companies

should I use one?

all my bad standing accounts are 7 years old and will fall off somewhere between june-dec.. should I wait for them to drop off?  Or will my score end up going higher if I hired a credit repair company to try and help me?  That being said do the accounts fall off exactly on the 7 year anniversary of the acct reported?  Does anyone have any tips on what I should do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guardmama04
New Contributor

Re: Credit Repair companies

Honestly I did everything from this website. I have learned so much and saved lots of money---have gotten around 6 items deleted from mine and my husbands report. Started at a 580 and now at 659 and my husband was a 540 and is not at 619. I honestly am thinking about starting my own credit repair company since I have so much Free time to send letters out.

SO my thoughts are---if you have time do your research from this site and a couple others and send out letters yourself.

In My Wallet: Barlclay NFL $4500 | Capital One Secured $300 | First Progress Secured $300| Walmart $600| New York & Company $500| Kohls $300| Discover IT $3000| Sears Citi|$4000|Walmart $800
First car lease $370 month August 2013
Signed First Mortgage August 2013
Starting Score: 581 EQ
Current Score: 658 EQ
Goal Score: 750
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone told me if you write lettrs and companies dont respond or dont have the documentation to back up the claim they have to take off the report, Ive also heard if they write back and respond to the letters then you have to be prepapred to pay the debt, also the will start the 7 yrs on your report again because of the new activity..Is this true?  should I wait till they fall off this year or go for it?  Also how long did it take for you to raise your crdit that much? you have a similiar starting score as mine..

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

OC accounts are not deleted based on expiration of a credit report exclusion period.  What occurs is that any individual adverse item of information reported under the account becomes excluded from your credit report.  Monthly delinquencies become excluded after 7 years from their individual dates of occurence, and a charge-off becomes excluded after 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the account.  Those dates affix credit report exclusion, and there is no reset based on later communications, disputes, etc., with the creditor.   Statements that later activity resets those exclusion dates is incorrect.

What OC delinquencies are reported?

Collections are excluded after 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

Letters to the creditor must assert some basis of inaccuracy in their reporting in order to qualify as a dispute, so your letter must provide some basis for asserting inaccuracy.  Yes, they must verify the accuracy of their reporting, but they dont have to provide documenatation, or prove the accuracy of their verification, so in most cases, they will verify.

The first question is whether you have basis for disputing the accuracy of what is currrently being reported, not whether you do it yourself or use a credit repair organization.  If you do have a disputable issue, a credit repair organization can assist or file a dispute on your behalf through a CRA, but if you file a direct dispute with their assistance, it can be dismissed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.