Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Report Debts vs Other Non Listed Debts

tag
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

Credit Report Debts vs Other Non Listed Debts

I want to know if its a good idea to pay off all delinquent debts (collections, charge offs) (Excluding good standing accounts) on my credit report FIRST, before attempting to pay all other debts not reporting. The reason im asking is that I consider the credit report debts more serious than the ones not reported or have no collection activity. Of course ALL debts are important, but I rather pay the reported ones first and get them deleted and let my report improve over time while I tackle on the "non listed sleeping debts".

Would this be a good idea and what are some negatives on this approach?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Report Debts vs Other Non Listed Debts

@GameMaster1564 wrote:

I want to know if its a good idea to pay off all delinquent debts (collections, charge offs) (Excluding good standing accounts) on my credit report FIRST, before attempting to pay all other debts not reporting. The reason im asking is that I consider the credit report debts more serious than the ones not reported or have no collection activity. Of course ALL debts are important, but I rather pay the reported ones first and get them deleted and let my report improve over time while I tackle on the "non listed sleeping debts".

Would this be a good idea and what are some negatives on this approach?

Well you have a good plan and i would go the route your re pursuing. however i hope the ones that are not reporting. does not become a credit report debt.so best to stop them before them become one or collection account. then focus on the ones already on the report.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Report Debts vs Other Non Listed Debts

Personally, I would not prioritize payment of debt based solely upon whether it is now reporting to a CRA.

There are debts that have high potential of either legal action or other escalation by a creditor or debt collector, such as a civil action, charge-off, or collection referral, regardless of whether currerntly reported by the creditor. 

Factors such as how much is the debt, is it nearing point of a charge-off or collection referral, is it still within SOL, may be the most relevant factors.

Not having been reported, or if now excluded from your credit report, shileds the existence of the delinquent debt via a simple pull of your credit report, but could still be a show stopper if disovered by other means or if reporting begins.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.