Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Reporting Time Periods

tag
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Credit Reporting Time Periods

Delinquencies (30 – 180 days): Can remain seven years from the date of the initial missed payment.

Collection accounts: Remain seven years from the date of the initial missed payment that led to the collection (the original delinquency date). When a collection account is paid in full, it will be marked "paid collection" on the credit report.

Charged-off accounts: Remain seven years from the date of the initial missed payment that led to the charge off (the original delinquency date), even if payments are later made on the charged-off account.

Closed accounts: Closed accounts are accounts that are no longer available for further use. Closed accounts may or may not have a zero balance. Closed accounts with delinquencies remain seven years from the date they are reported closed, whether closed by the creditor or by the consumer. Positive closed accounts remain 10 years.

Lost credit card: If there are no delinquencies, credit cards that are reported lost will continue to be listed for two years from the date the card is reported lost. Delinquent payments that occurred before the card was lost are reported for seven years.

Bankruptcy: Chapters 7, 11, and 12 remain for 10 years from the filing date. Chapter 13 remains seven years from the filing date. Accounts included in bankruptcy will remain seven years from the date they were reported as included in the bankruptcy.

Child support judgments: Remain seven years from the date the judgment is filed.

Civil and small claim judgments: Remain seven years from the date the judgment is filed.

City, county, state, and federal tax liens: Unpaid tax liens remain 15 years from the filing date. Paid tax liens remain seven years from the paid date of the lien.

Inquiries: Most inquiries listed on your credit report will remain for two years.

Positive open credit information remains indefinitely and paid positive accounts remain 10 years.

More info:

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-19-2007 07:30 PM
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Reporting Time Periods

Thanks for the recap Tuscani. Very useful.
Message 2 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, there it all is. Short and concise. Thank you.

Message 3 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tuscani wrote:

Child support judgments: Remain seven years from the date the judgment is filed.

Yep, looks like its time for my fiance and I to do some house-hunting in Kenya then, since the Soviets running the child support agency here in California told me they're going to put a judgment on my CR.

My kid turns 18 in 2015, let's see, seven years after that is 2022. So basically my credit in the American Empire will be hosed until 2022. Thanks for the info, Tuscani...I'll be phoning her tonight to tell her.
Message 4 of 93
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

My pleasure.. as always, you should double-check the SOLs in your state as well. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case, I'm not worried about being sued for back child support. What's going to kill me is that they will put the judgment on my CR regardless of whether or not I am current. So no matter what I do, my credit will be hosed.

I'll tell you something--I can't wait for the oil crash to come and for this country to be hosed. Nothing less than it and the system running it deserve.
Message 6 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unpaid tax liens have no time limit and stay forever (until paid, and then 7 yrs. later).
Message 7 of 93
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I don't think it works that way at least in NJ. I have been paying support for three kids since 1995. My oldest just dropped off this year. I believe as long as you stay current and are not brought into court for non compliance there should be no negatives reported on your credit report. Mine says pays as agreed. Might even be a positive trendline on my report but it has been killing me.

Message Edited by smallfry on 04-29-2007 06:26 PM
Message 8 of 93
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Like I said guys.. check your local state on judgements and tax liens. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCRA refers to "paid tax liens" -- perhaps that means only Federal tax (e.g., income tax)  For state tax liens - YMMV.
Message 10 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.