cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit 'Score' Companies--Which One to choose?

tag
BlkQueen
Established Member

Credit 'Score' Companies--Which One to choose?

Im so glad I found this site! Im in my early 20s and ready to get my credit back on track.

The first step would be to get the report, I got the freeannualreport earlier this year, but it was ery different from the format when I checked in 2010. Anywho, I wanted to know which score website is better? Scorewatch or Creditreport.com?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit 'Score' Companies--Which One to choose?

I started out using freecreditreport.com.  I liked it because you could refresh often, but since the score is useless, I switched over to SW.  I love SW.  I am using TrueCredit to be able to refresh my TU report daily (because i need to at this time, but will cancel when I no longer need daily access) and the same for Equifax ID Patrol.  I got a nice email today from EQ ID Patrol telling me an account balance went down, which SW doesn't do. 

I recommend you try the free trials and see which fits for you.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want your FICO's, get them here. You will spend a lot to try to get them daily though. You're best off with a good daily report puller to monitor changes (like USAA's CCMP), and then purchase your real scores here every few months. Scores from any of the monitoring companies are not FICO's, and completely and utterly useless.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I wanted to see my creditscore daily use truecredit? Is it a fako?

Message 4 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums, BlkQu33n!

Yes, the scores at TrueCredit are FAKOs. Here is a helpful link Credit Monitoring Service Guideline

Message 5 of 13
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there.  No I didn't say credit score, I said credit Report.    I'm using TrueCredit at this time because I need to be able to see when accounts get updated on TU as I'm going through a mortgage and need my score up just a tiny bit more.  I didn't even sign up to get the score from TrueCredit bc I know it is a FAKO score.

I read the link below about choosing a CMS and that is the one I chose for now, but I will cancel it hopefully very soon.  I think you need to decide what your goal is and the timelines of that, and then decide.  Also, try the free trials to see how it works.  Good Luck!!

Message 6 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's important to get the difference between credit reports and credit scores.

There are a lot of services that monitor credit reports. They're on that link that was provided up above.

Credit scores are different. Yes, "scores" are generally provided with the reports that come from monitoring services, but they're pretty much all FAKO's, aka bogus.

There's nothing at all wrong with subscribing to a credit monitoring service to follow changes on your reports. But it's really important to train yourself to ignore the scores, and especially to ignore the advice that comes along with them. Advice that might help your FAKO's can most definitely harm your FICO's, and we've had a lot of posts here that will testify to that.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 13
BlkQueen
Established Member

I most definitely agree because I used CreditKarma for a while and the advice it gave didnt seem to make sense to me (IE giving me a score of B for having 1 chargeoff). What Im looking for is to have the report as well as the score to have a stating point. Im pretty sure there are things on the report that I can get resolved, especially with all the information here. But if all are FAKOs, Im wondering if I should contine to use creditkarma as a guide snce I cant pull my FICO daily

Message 8 of 13
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I learned the hard way.  I was using freecreditscore.com as a guide.  If I could go back in time 2 months, I would have ordered both my TU and EQ FICO here at Myfico instead of freecreditscore/report.  It's not that expensive to just get the scores to get started.   15 bucks a month is worth it to me to have SW and get alerts if something changes on EQ.  Unfortunately, SW doesn't cover TU changes to the report (Though you can buy a new report/score for 20 bucks here and that would show you changes).

Message 9 of 13
BlkQueen
Established Member

I got SW. My score is 70pts lower than the score on Credit Karma Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.