Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Dilemma

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Dilemma

Ok, new to the forums here. I decided to join these forums as everytime I google a credit related question the first hit I get is from this site so Im going to give it a shot.

So I started to build credit in Sept 2013. I had 0 credit but somehow managed a score of 535 or so. I had 2 medical collections totaling $2384 and $20k in erroneous back CS and 3 hard credit inquiries.

I went ahead and applied with BofA for the unsecured visa and got declined for "unsufficient credit history", so I applied for the secured and was approved with a $300 CL. I maintained my account well with no late payments and excellent usage under 30%, as well as paying most of my balances off in full at the end of nearly every months end. I also had the erroneous $20k fixed and removed from my CR as well as both medical collections removed and 1 of the hard inquiries expire within the year. All I now had on my credit report was a good standing credit card, 0 collections and 2 Inquiries. After exactly a year, my credit went from 530's to 712 TU 689 EQ 692 EX so I began to look further into other credit options to build my credit further, so in Sept I applied for an Old Navy store card and was approved for a $250 CL, a week later I applied at Walmart and was approved for a $300 CL finally within the same month my bank ran my credit in order to un-secure my card and when they did, I was approved, had my CL increased to $500 and my security deposit returned. I also had a mortgage company run my credit without my consent or my social security so I am in the process of disputing this with the credit bureaus.

So here comes the dilemma; 

After all is said and done I had my Bank Credit card unsecured and CL raised, approved for 2 retail store cards bringing my Hard Credit Inquiries to 6 total, NO late payments, NO negatives BUT my credit score dropped dramatically to 633 in less than a month due to what I assume is the credit inquiries in a short period of time. However I have been reading that if anything Hard inquiries only drop approx 3-7 points each. So I am very much troubled as to how and or why my credit score dropped so much especially over night when it took me over a year to get it to where it was in the near 700's. If i was approved and not declined that should say something positive about me not negative. I do agree I should have been smarter about spanning out the inquiries but hey I didnt think it would affect me as much as it has. 

I just want some feedback on what you guys think about this situation and or if anyone has had a similar situation and how they fixed it Smiley Wink

Thanks in advance!!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Score Dilemma

Where are you getting the score from?  At this point there's not much you can do but responsibly use and manage your cards.  The inquiries will age and eventually fall off.

@Anonymous wrote:

However I have been reading that if anything Hard inquiries only drop approx 3-7 points each.

It's not just the inquiries that matter.  Keep this in mind:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Every new account drops your AAoA (Length of Credit History) as well.  AAoA just takes time to build.

@Anonymous wrote:

If i was approved and not declined that should say something positive about me not negative. I do agree I should have been smarter about spanning out the inquiries but hey I didnt think it would affect me as much as it has. 

Keep in mind all the factors above.  Getting approved doesn't mean that your credit remains static after the approval.  New accounts can and do impact your credit.  Also keep your utilization (Amounts Owed) in mind.  These are short term impacts.  Again, you just need to put in the time and responsible usage and continue building.  This is a long process so be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.