Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Estimator Accurate ?

tag
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Credit Score Estimator Accurate ?

I have been playing around with a credit score estimator tool on Credit.com, and found the results to be pretty close to my actual FICO scores.

Of course, this simple tool does not measure all 22 factors that go into the calculation of the FICO, but I would like to invite my fellow score-watchers on this forum to experiment with it, and please report back with your impressions regarding its relative accuracy against your own true / known scores.

https://www.credit.com/calculators/score/

PS - And  Please - before all the FICO fanboys start yapping about the fact that this isn't a "real score" - remember that I have already stated that this is only a test to be used to indicate the general & predictive trend of your FAKO profile !!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Score Estimator Accurate ?

The only calculator I trust it the score that is generated from my FICO subscriptions.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 9
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

It doesn't factor in collections. It's way off of about 75 points for me. Try this simulator instead:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/credit-score-fico-calculator.aspx

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I just tried the myfico one.

it came out low compared to my real score 50points lower then my score from myfico.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 4 of 9
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@CashOnDelivery wrote:
It doesn't factor in collections. It's way off of about 75 points for me. Try this simulator instead:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/credit-score-fico-calculator.aspx

I was of the impression that a collection was considered a negative - which is the first item on the estimator.

Your alternative simulator is also a useful tool - perhaps working with multiple tools, we can merge results to get a general picture of how various scenarios could effect the scores.

Message 5 of 9
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

The FICO estimator range has been fairly good. I've usually been within the range but have, on occasion been outside of it. Worse case was when I was rebucketted and the low end of the range was 715 when my actual FICO dipped briefly to 690. Usually I'm in the high end of the estimator range.

EtoA:

At the time my EQ FICO dropped to 690 my TU FICO was 760 which was in the range.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 9
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

I don't think any of estimators can be accurate unless you have a thinner file. Mine said I'd would get above 680 3 months afte a 60 day late I did so thicker more complicated files I think can overcome some of the bad etc.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@sarkell wrote:
I don't think any of estimators can be accurate unless you have a thinner file. Mine said I'd would get above 680 3 months afte a 60 day late I did so thicker more complicated files I think can overcome some of the bad etc.

I have also read that the more established your credit history - the less any particular ding will hurt you.

People with long & strong histories are probably not reading these forums, anyway. 

I think the score simulators have more value to those of us who are working to establish / rebuild our credit - so each minor point swing has a much greater significance.

Speaking for myself - I check my FICO & FAKOs as often as a person on a diet checks their weight. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 9
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

HAHA me too. I am waiting to do the credit sesame so I can have a monthly on on the 10th, 18th, and 23rd.   Then the CK each week.   Smiley Happy 

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.