Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score will NOT go up

tag
who291
New Visitor

Credit Score will NOT go up

I do not know what else to do...

Credit score is stuck at 600-640 depending on which score.

I only got my personal credit cards about 9 months ago, before then I was just a user on my parents accounts and had a debit card.

I also got a car loan around 6 months ago and got stuck with 8% (best I could do)

Only negative info on my report:

-Failed to pay $300 (because of my a-hole brother) on a verizon account 3-4 years ago

-Failed to pay $25 from an ATT account 5 or so years ago

So when I noticed my Credit Score was low I applied for a few credit cards and was accepted by the following:

-Chase Milage Plus Explorer ($5k CL, recently raised to $7k)

-Capital One Master Card ($1000CL, raised to $1500k)

-Chase Freedom ( $1000CL, raised to $2k)

I have not missed a payment on ANYTHING since the verizon fiasco3-4 years ago.

Keep a ZERO balance on all cards and have a very decent income for my age (24)

**bleep** am I doing wrong!?!? I don't really NEED the higher credit score for anything right now, but I really want to improve it so what can I do!?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Score will NOT go up

@who291 wrote:

I do not know what else to do...

Credit score is stuck at 600-640 depending on which score.

I only got my personal credit cards about 9 months ago, before then I was just a user on my parents accounts and had a debit card.

I also got a car loan around 6 months ago and got stuck with 8% (best I could do)

Only negative info on my report:

-Failed to pay $300 (because of my a-hole brother) on a verizon account 3-4 years ago

-Failed to pay $25 from an ATT account 5 or so years ago

So when I noticed my Credit Score was low I applied for a few credit cards and was accepted by the following:

-Chase Milage Plus Explorer ($5k CL, recently raised to $7k)

-Capital One Master Card ($1000CL, raised to $1500k)

-Chase Freedom ( $1000CL, raised to $2k)

I have not missed a payment on ANYTHING since the verizon fiasco3-4 years ago.

Keep a ZERO balance on all cards and have a very decent income for my age (24)

**bleep** am I doing wrong!?!? I don't really NEED the higher credit score for anything right now, but I really want to improve it so what can I do!?

Welcome to the forum.  If your cc's are reporting a zero balance  FICO has no way of scoring your pyt history. Let one cc report a balance of 1-9%; write GW letters to Verizon and Att.  Remember, you don't have to carry a valance, only let a cc report a balance. 

Message 2 of 7
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

If you want to see a jump in your score, you need to get rid of those baddies on ur CR. You are going to have to PFD or get rid of them some how.
NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 3 of 7
who291
New Visitor

Thank you both very much. I was under the impression that once it was "failed to pay" there was no way to get it removed. But I will send them letters and see if they will agree to take it off for a full payment.

Also I did leave a balance on 2 of the cards for a while at the beginning since they were 0%, hoping that would help, still nothing. My Score actually went down a couple of points from the inqueries for the cards and auto loan and still has not recovered from that even.

I had no idea that a couple of bad marks for such a small amount would hurt my score so much!

Message 4 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If your credit is fairly new, that may cause a few points.

As for those two collections, they will hurt you for about 7-7.5 years.

Keep writing goodwill letters to see if they can be removed.

Was the verizon account fraud?

Message 5 of 7
who291
New Visitor

No, Verizon was completely my fault. It was just a miscommunication between me and my brother. I got him a wifi card and I thought he was paying it and he thought I was paying it. I had moved so bills were going to the wrong address and it wasn't until I checked my credit score years later that I realized what had happened.

So is my credit score pretty much stuck under 700 until I get these removed or time is up on them?

I will defenitely start sending letters and see if that will get me anywhere. 

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Derogs are always a major bottleneck and should be addressed first.  Definitely visit the Rebuilding subofurm.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.