Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Trending

tag
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Credit Trending

I just got off the phone with a customer, who says his friend (a mortgage loan originator) told him that the credit bereaus are now providing utilization trends when someone applies for credit. Apparently, when you apply for credit, in addition to showing your current reported balance, they'll also report your previous utilization trends as well.  No word on how far back it's supposed to show the trends. This reportedly started on June 1.

Has anyone else heard of this?

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Trending

No, but thanks for sharing.  Makes me feel better about always reporting under 10% of my overall available credit.

Message 2 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Thanks for the great info! I'm glad I let everything report! Lol
Message 3 of 13
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I did some minor research on the web and it looks like it was designed for use in the mortgage industry.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 4 of 13
core
Valued Contributor

Two things...

1.  If this started 3 weeks ago, why are we just hearing about it now?  Loan officers are large in number and what's present in a credit report isn't secret or anything like that (unlike FICO algos).  I would have thought this would have been big news, if it's true and already live.

2.  If I request my paper reports now, am I going to see all this new information on them?  If they are showing mortgage lenders information that they are NOT showing to me, then it isn't really a full file disclosure, is it?  I'll be requesting mine tonight.

Message 5 of 13
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

I got updated reports today and yesterday from FreeCreditReport.com and Credit Karma. There is nothing new on there. Is it possible that the mortgage lender is talking about how the bureaus report the highest balance you've ever carried? Because they have always done that. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 6 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Historical account balances have been included in consumer file histories for years.. similar to historical payment history profiles.

That is nothing new.

However, most commercial credit reports do not include that information.

You are likely seeing a commercail vendor who is offering that standard into.

Check a copy of your report obtained via annualcreditreport.com, which may show historical balances.

You can, of course, recreate historical  % utils if you know the credit limits.

Message 7 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I do see the high balance reported on my reports. I have not heard about this, and wonder if it isn't what Robert described, which is commercially related.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen this info on my credit reports in the past.  Basically it shows you your monthly balances, payment amounts, payment dates, etc.  A little quick math yields utilization percentages that could go back a year or longer.

I'm not sure I see all too much significance in seeing past utilization amounts.  Like anything with credit such as late payments/derogs, utilization that is most current is what matters most.  What it's at now is most meaningful and scoring is reflected as such.  Same way a late payment now is going to sting more than one from a year and a half ago, utilization now matters far more than what it was a year and a half ago.

Message 9 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

I just got off the phone with a customer, who says his friend (a mortgage loan originator) told him

So double hearsay? Smiley Wink

@Odiseous wrote:

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender

Make sure you're considering the specific scoring models for all your scores.  "Lender" doesn't really mean anything.  Lenders don't all use the same scoring model.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.