Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Unions

tag
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Credit Unions

I was wondering if it is advantageous to build or try and build a relationship with more than one bank/credit union.  I see a lot of posters here who say they have a CC or account with Chase, BoA, Citi, NFCU, DCU, PenFed and so forth.  And a lot of you guys and gals have relationships with multiples of these banks/cus.  Right now I just am part of NFCU and want to build a solid relationship with them, but I am wondering if I am "missing out" by not joining another...say DCU (just as an example). 

Navy has been very good to me, especially since my scores are not great, 567 EQ ScoreWatch as of 4/2014.  I have secured nRewards $600, they just refi'd my car from a horrendeous 22+% rate down to 16% (I know not good but WAY better than I had), and they just gave me a cashRewards for $3000.  My wife has had similar success with them (goRewards $4000, with a 574 score at the time, Jan 2014). 

I want to build with them, but again don't want to miss out on every option available. 

Advice, experiences and so forth are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Unions

I'd cultivate relationships with several (I currently have accounts with four CUs).

Here are two good resources:

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/the-big-list-of-credit-unions-open-to-anyone.html

http://www.creditcardconnection.org

Message 2 of 14
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

I'd cultivate relationships with several (I currently have accounts with four CUs).

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/the-big-list-of-credit-unions-open-to-anyone.html

Any ones anyone would/could recommend?  Again, already with NFCU Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
BigBS
Senior Contributor

I have 3 that I have a relationship with:  NFCU, PenFed and LMCU (a little off the beaten path). 

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 4 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Jarnog wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

Any ones anyone would/could recommend?  Again, already with NFCU Smiley Happy

Really depends on what you're after.

For example, I really like Alliant Credit Union for banking, but not so much for credit products.

My favorite for CCs is PSECU, but it's now restricted to Pennsylvania residents.  My second choice in this area would probably be DCU.

I'd suggest spending some time looking at the web pages of a lot of CUs, to get an idea of what they offer.

Message 5 of 14
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

The main thing I am looking for is growth in a good way, possibility.  Something that won't be stymied or plateau'd.   Also, this may be jumping the gun a bit, but a possible/hopeful loan for consolidating debt.  NFCU declined me, and it has been suggested that I look into other CU's for the possibility of getting that loan.  Again, scores are bad, if not horrible, but I am willing to take what I can get LOL. 

And I am not just looking to join one because the will give me a loan.  I am in it for the long haul, preferably, and wouldn't be the proverbial "one and done".

Message 6 of 14
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Jarnog wrote:

The main thing I am looking for is growth in a good way, possibility.  Something that won't be stymied or plateau'd.   Also, this may be jumping the gun a bit, but a possible/hopeful loan for consolidating debt.  NFCU declined me, and it has been suggested that I look into other CU's for the possibility of getting that loan.  Again, scores are bad, if not horrible, but I am willing to take what I can get LOL. 

And I am not just looking to join one because the will give me a loan.  I am in it for the long haul, preferably, and wouldn't be the proverbial "one and done".

Shop around for local CU. The big ones are great but unless you have a location close to you its hard to get the CU experiance. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 7 of 14
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

I will do what others have suggested and shop around locally first. 

Is there a benefit, so to speak to joining or having multiple relationships with various CU's or banks?

Does it just boil down to, "if one won't help, another might, and I up my chances because I bank/save/whatever with XXX"?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Message 8 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

The way I approach this is to have in mind certain things that I'm looking for in a CU.

For example, I'm self-employed, with variable income, and because of this, like to have access to what I call "financing type" CCs.  These are CCs with no fees and low APRs for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances.

There are lots of CUs that offer this type of CC, and this area is usually the first thing I look at when evaluating a CU.

Message 9 of 14
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@Jarnog wrote:

I was wondering if it is advantageous to build or try and build a relationship with more than one bank/credit union.  I see a lot of posters here who say they have a CC or account with Chase, BoA, Citi, NFCU, DCU, PenFed and so forth.  And a lot of you guys and gals have relationships with multiples of these banks/cus.  Right now I just am part of NFCU and want to build a solid relationship with them, but I am wondering if I am "missing out" by not joining another...say DCU (just as an example). 

Navy has been very good to me, especially since my scores are not great, 567 EQ ScoreWatch as of 4/2014.  I have secured nRewards $600, they just refi'd my car from a horrendeous 22+% rate down to 16% (I know not good but WAY better than I had), and they just gave me a cashRewards for $3000.  My wife has had similar success with them (goRewards $4000, with a 574 score at the time, Jan 2014). 

I want to build with them, but again don't want to miss out on every option available. 

Advice, experiences and so forth are greatly appreciated.

^^^^

I recommend credit unions as options; I don't use them as my main bank since their branches are few and far between. But they offer very competitive rates so maintaining a relationship with them is a good thing, besides their minimum balance os often low so low cost, i.e., $5 for a savings and often no min. balance for checking.

I have been a member of  local one here in my city since 1998 or so and just joined PenFed a couple weeks ago,why two? Two is one and one is none as the saying goes.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.