New Visitor
wsucoug06

Credit and job background checks

I have a final interview for a job with a univeristy tomorrow and they do a background check, including credit. My credit is at very low number of 436, due to my daughter being in the hospital for 3+ years and caring for my mother when she was terminally ill, quitting my teaching job to care for both people and getting divorced in the process.  A lot of my debt is medical bills and the rest are deferrements on student loans. My quesion is, how negatively will this effect me with the current job that I am interviewing for, and is there any short, quick fixes to raise my credit score? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions so as to not have this negatively impact me when being considered for the position, I would greatly appreciate all feedback.  Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
Roarmeister

Re: Credit and job background checks

I don't think there is anything that you can do quickly enough to raise your score in time.  You will just have to cross your fingers.  If the subject comes up in the interview, you may offer an general explanation but I wouldn't go into to many details.  Best of luck!

AMEX_PlatinumBMOWorldMCCapOnePlatinumMBNA_Platinum+ScotiaMomentum
____$25k_______$20k_______$20k_______$25k_______$25k____
Starting Score: 676 Feb 2008; Current Score: 791 EQ; 824 CA, Dec. 2014; TU 814, Oct. 2014; Goal Score: 800 by end of year Oldest Account reported by EQ: 12 years; EQ AAoA: 5.8 years; EQ Credit Utilization: 2.3%
Valued Contributor
takeshi74

There are no quick fixes in general.  They may not pull your credit today but if they do there's certainly nothing you can do about it.  That said, you should still look into addressing the derogs on your reports.

Established Contributor
Brusilov

wsucoug06 wrote:

I have a final interview for a job with a univeristy tomorrow and they do a background check, including credit. My credit is at very low number of 436, due to my daughter being in the hospital for 3+ years and caring for my mother when she was terminally ill, quitting my teaching job to care for both people and getting divorced in the process.  A lot of my debt is medical bills and the rest are deferrements on student loans. My quesion is, how negatively will this effect me with the current job that I am interviewing for, and is there any short, quick fixes to raise my credit score? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions so as to not have this negatively impact me when being considered for the position, I would greatly appreciate all feedback.  Thank you!

It's important to know that while most background checks have you sign off on a form that says you give them permission to check your credit history 90% of jobs will NOT actually perform the check.  Exceptions include positions that typically warrant a clean history (banker, finance positions, high level manager roles, etc.).  You probably don't need to sweat it unless you've been writing tons of bad checks and things that could be construed as possible fraud.

$17.3K          $500              $7K              $15K              $5K             $2300          $3200          $2000          $1500          $1000           $8100

Garden Since: 9.25.2013

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}