cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit approval for loaner car at dealer?

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Credit approval for loaner car at dealer?

My local car dealer sent out a coupon for free loaner car to be used while having my car serviced. It says "need to qualify." What are the chances this "qualification" results in an hard pull? Anybody haveexperience? This is with a Mazda-Volkswagen dealer.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit approval for loaner car at dealer?

Definitely call and ask you never know they might HP you to size you up for a new car. 

Message 2 of 7
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@credit-hunter wrote:

Definitely call and ask you never know they might HP you to size you up for a new car. 

+1 you need to call them

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Purchase of a car is a business transaction inititated by the consumer.

Permissible purpose to pull the consumer's credit report arises if the business transaction gives rise to  an associated "legitimate business purpose" for the dealer to review your credit standing as part of the transaction.

If you are paying by way of cash or certified funds that involve no seeking of credit from them or no reasonable chance of the funds not clearing, there is no legitimate purpose for them to review your credit as part of the transaction.  Thus, they could make no request for your credit report, be it hard or soft.

However, if you wish to review credit they might offer, they then would have a legitimate business purpose.  The prospective creditor would also have a legitimate purpose for reveiw of your consumer initiated request for credit.

The FTC has also issued a staff opinion letter that payment by personal check would also constitute a legitimate business purpose, as review of your credit history might reflect on the risk of the funds clearing.

It thus depends upon the details of your business transaction with them.

Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

OP is asking about a loaner car for service, not a car purchase.  My dealer doesn't pull credit for loaners but OP should verify with his dealer instead of relying on generalizations.

Message 5 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@takeshi74 wrote:

OP is asking about a loaner car for service, not a car purchase.  My dealer doesn't pull credit for loaners but OP should verify with his dealer instead of relying on generalizations.

Almost all major car rental companies will do a HP if you are renting a car with a debit card, but not if you are paying with a credit card.   Might be similar at the stealership as well.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Mailak wrote:

My local car dealer sent out a coupon for free loaner car to be used while having my car serviced. It says "need to qualify." What are the chances this "qualification" results in an hard pull? Anybody haveexperience? This is with a Mazda-Volkswagen dealer.

This is my take on the coupon:  it is a lead generater for the car dealer. Once they put in the "need to qualify" wording you know there are going is qualifying criteria associated with the offer of a "free loaner car".

As others pointed out, you have to call the dealership offering the coupon to find out what qualifying criteria the specific dealership requires. My bet: yes, pulling credit is one of the requirements and I'm sure it would be a hard pull.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.