Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card and insurance offers in a siblings name

tag
Clarkm11
New Visitor

Credit card and insurance offers in a siblings name

I have occasionally received credit card offers and insurance offers to my home address in my brother's name. I am worried that this means that our credit personas and credit scores are intermingled if my SSN and home address are tied to his name. Does anyone know why this might occur and what I should do to report and fix it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card and insurance offers in a siblings name

Pull your free credit reports from annuralcreditreport.com and go line by line to make sure you recognize everything.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 4
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps they filled something out and used your address. My brother filled out some car drawing and now he gets offers sent to our mother's house.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is most likely not an indication of mixing of actual credit file information at the CRA, although the suggestion to check your reports is an excellent step.

It is most likely due to a vague request from the creditor or insuror or a vague listing from the CRA,

Under FCRA 604(c), a person may request a limited "credit report" from a CRA for purposes of making the consumer a firm offer for credit or insurance.

The requestor may not have provided an SSN to the CRA to limit the listing.

Additionally, the CRA is prohibited, in providing a list of consumers that meet the requested criteria, from providing any identifier that is unique to the consumer, so they cannot, afer obtaining a listing, distinquish based on any SSN they might have.

They also cannot receive any account-specific information that might enable them to distinquish between consumes who might have common identiiers, such as basic name or address.

Finally, if a creditor or insuror receives a listing from a CRA for the stated purpose of making a firm offer, they are required to make the firm offer for credit or insurance that was the stated purpose for their having obtained the listing.  Creditors have been hammered by the FTC for using such listings to obtain general CR information without then making the required firm offer.  It is not intended as a means for them to check on consumers.

Thus, I suspect that they err on the side of making offers to all on the lsit they receive.

I would not take that as an indication that actual credit file information has been mixed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.