Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card late pay-can it be removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card late pay-can it be removed?

In an effort to raise my FICO, I asked Toyota Motor Credit to remove a late pay, and they promptly obliged.  I asked Macy's Dept. Store to remove a late pay, and they also promptly obliged.  I am a long-time BofA customer.  I asked BofA to remove a recent late pay, and they refused.  I have two other late pays on my BofA account that are approximately three or four years old.  The more recent late pay was for a charge by Blockbuster ("BB") for a late-returned video about a year ago.  I didn't even realize there was a balance on my BofA account from the BB charge until BofA put a hold on my card about two months after the fact.  Recently, I disputed the original charge with BB on basis that I did indeed return the video on time.  BB researched it, and said my account looks fine - everything is accounted for. My question is, can BofA remove a late pay as a courtesy if they want to, or are they bound by some consumer credit law not to do so.? Would I have any luck having the late pay removed if I threaten to leave BofA?

Thanks for your advice.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit card late pay-can it be removed?

Creditors are bound to report accurately.  There is no statutory provision that prevents them from deleting prior reporting, but they are certainly within their rights not to.  You are asking for GW.   BoA is notorious for not doing GW deletions.  It is their option.

I think you are on the right track in appealing to their desire to keep you as a customer for their motivation to grant the GW deletion, but with BoA, it is almost impossible.  Dont do it as a threat, offer it as a reason to want to keep you.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 11-01-2009 08:00 PM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.