Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards

I have a visa that has a $2000 credit limit that i've had for 8 months. I have another visa that i've had almost 3 years with only $550 credit limit. I've been looking for a card with a higher limit. I got approved for a mastercard with $1000 limit. Do I cancel the $550 credit limit visa, or keep it? I mean, will it hurt to keep it and just not use it? Or am i better off canceling it?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit cards

jolllysworld wrote:
I have a visa that has a $2000 credit limit that i've had for 8 months. I have another visa that i've had almost 3 years with only $550 credit limit. I've been looking for a card with a higher limit. I got approved for a mastercard with $1000 limit. Do I cancel the $550 credit limit visa, or keep it? I mean, will it hurt to keep it and just not use it? Or am i better off canceling it?

never close a CC account. closed CC do not count toward CC UTIL.  CC accounts weigh heavy toward scores.  Also history is important.....how old is good credit....a good open CC will stay on CR forever (very good) all good closed accounts fall off CR in 10 years.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is better for your score right now to keep it. It probably has fees so it is your choice. I personally think 3-4 cards will help your score and history more. I'd use it for very small purchases to keep the UTL low, but keep the card active.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even better to try and get them to raise the limit on the card with out an inquiry. That will benefit you in so many ways if the credit line is increased.
Message 4 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

jolllysworld wrote:

Do you know all three of your FICO scores?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only know my FICO score from equifax, it's a 603.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

none of my cards have fee's, except the interest rate fee's, but i dont carry a balance on any of them.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

use you cards for small amounts & PIF  so that it shows active
Message 8 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

jolllysworld wrote:
I only know my FICO score from equifax, it's a 603.

You must have some baddies on your reports. Post them if you want us to help raise your scores. I wouldn't apply for any CC and expect much with your score.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.