cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check for law enforcement

tag
USC13

Re: Credit check for law enforcement

Thank you all so much for your replies and words of encouragment. And you're all absolutely right. I will take it for what it is. I will be honest throughout my entire application/process. I just didn't want to volunteer information. Even though I think my chances are slim, I'm still going to try. 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't already, visit http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/recruit_faq.html

From what I can gather doing some cursory internet searches, CHP doesn't go overboard with credit history. Don't sweat it; be honest. Some old CC issues likely won't be a disqualifier. A bigger issue for many applicants is their physical condition, along with the general time commitment involved going through the hiring process.

An excerpt from their FAQ, emphasis below mine:

What information will I need for my background investigation?

• Residential history for the last ten years, including address, landlords and roommates
  • A complete employment history, including addresses, phone numbers, supervisors and co-workers
  • All legal history and associated reports
  • All driving history and associated reports (including copies of citations and accident reports, if possible)
  • Vehicle insurance policies
  • Vehicle registration cards
  • Your birth certificate (Certified Copy issued by State)
  • Marriage & dissolution of marriage certificates
  • Knowledge of your credit history (free at www.annualcreditreport.com )
  • Selective Service registration card or printout (from www.sss.gov )
  • Social Security card (www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html )
  • High school transcript(s) (Certified)
  • College transcript(s) (Certified)
  • Military records & DD214 (www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html )

Message 12 of 16
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@USC13 wrote:

Hello everyone!

I plan to apply with a law enforcement agency in California and I understand their requirements. I want to be 100% truthful with them, but at the same time, I don't want to volunteer any information that may hurt my chances. I just have two questions:

(1) I have had a couple of charge-offs automatically removed from my credit report due to its age (over 7 years old), will the background investigators have access to information on my credit report that ins't accessible to me? For example; will they see the charge-offs even if it's already been removed? If they ask me about them, I'll tell them, but if not, I won't. I don't know what a credit report looks like to an employment screener. The only reports I'm use to seeing are the ones I pull for myself.

(2) Will they see soft inquiries? I have a few soft inquiries pulled by debt collection agencies with their contact information and reasons for the inquiries. I don't think they can put these debts back on my credit report since it's been over 7 years, but they are still trying to contact me about them, which is fine, but again... I don't want to volunteer any negative information to my background investigator.

I understand that removal of information like charge-offs doesn't releive me of my debt obligations. I still owe them. I plan to settle my debts as soon as possible, but it's going to take time with the salary I make now. It's been well over 7 years since any account activity, and since they've been automatically removed from my credit report, I haven't worried much about them. I know these investigators are extremely thourough, but I just don't know how much information they'll have access to regarding my credit history.

Thanks everyone! Have a fantastic week!

Any law enforcement agency will do an extensive back round check on you.  When I went through  the process it took me about 9 months from start to finish by the time I finally got to the academy,  and all I can say is,  if they ask you a question,  either verbally,  or written,  you answer it honest and to the best of your ability.  Do not hide anything.  Honesty is of the utmost  importance when trying to get a job with law enforcement.  I have known people who reportedly lied on their application,  and when it was found out,  they  were fired on the spot,  and it did not matter how long they were employed.  Needless to say,  if a person is fired from a law enforcement department,  it is very hard for them to find a good job later for obvious reasons.  I have  known a couple of people who have admitted to using pot in their younger days,  admitting their wrong,  and they were hired for their honesty,  but they did not have  any kind of criminal backgrounds.  As the saying goes,  every applicant is judged by his/her own merits,  no two are alike.  Honesty is the best policy,  just do your best to answer every question and you will be fine.  As you know,  you will take a lie detector test,  and it has been proved   many times people fail this test because they think they can hide certain things in their life, but that just does not work.   So,  just do your best,  and you will be fine.  Good luck to you,  I am pulling for you.  Please let us know how it turns out.  All law enforcement departments need good men  and women.  It is a great career to have. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 13 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@USC13 wrote:

Hello everyone!

I plan to apply with a law enforcement agency in California and I understand their requirements. I want to be 100% truthful with them, but at the same time, I don't want to volunteer any information that may hurt my chances. I just have two questions:

(1) I have had a couple of charge-offs automatically removed from my credit report due to its age (over 7 years old), will the background investigators have access to information on my credit report that ins't accessible to me? For example; will they see the charge-offs even if it's already been removed? If they ask me about them, I'll tell them, but if not, I won't. I don't know what a credit report looks like to an employment screener. The only reports I'm use to seeing are the ones I pull for myself.

(2) Will they see soft inquiries? I have a few soft inquiries pulled by debt collection agencies with their contact information and reasons for the inquiries. I don't think they can put these debts back on my credit report since it's been over 7 years, but they are still trying to contact me about them, which is fine, but again... I don't want to volunteer any negative information to my background investigator.

I understand that removal of information like charge-offs doesn't releive me of my debt obligations. I still owe them. I plan to settle my debts as soon as possible, but it's going to take time with the salary I make now. It's been well over 7 years since any account activity, and since they've been automatically removed from my credit report, I haven't worried much about them. I know these investigators are extremely thourough, but I just don't know how much information they'll have access to regarding my credit history.

Thanks everyone! Have a fantastic week!

Any law enforcement agency will do an extensive back round check on you.  When I went through  the process it took me about 9 months from start to finish by the time I finally got to the academy,  and all I can say is,  if they ask you a question,  either verbally,  or written,  you answer it honest and to the best of your ability.  Do not hide anything.  Honesty is of the utmost  importance when trying to get a job with law enforcement.  I have known people who reportedly lied on their application,  and when it was found out,  they  were fired on the spot,  and it did not matter how long they were employed.  Needless to say,  if a person is fired from a law enforcement department,  it is very hard for them to find a good job later for obvious reasons.  I have  known a couple of people who have admitted to using pot in their younger days,  admitting their wrong,  and they were hired for their honesty,  but they did not have  any kind of criminal backgrounds.  As the saying goes,  every applicant is judged by his/her own merits,  no two are alike.  Honesty is the best policy,  just do your best to answer every question and you will be fine.  As you know,  you will take a lie detector test,  and it has been proved   many times people fail this test because they think they can hide certain things in their life, but that just does not work.   So,  just do your best,  and you will be fine.  Good luck to you,  I am pulling for you.  Please let us know how it turns out.  All law enforcement departments need good men  and women.  It is a great career to have. 

Great advice HR.

It's human nature not to want to admit past mistakes but an attempted cover up is usually worse than the original transgression.

Message 14 of 16
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Something else to be aware of, for the OP as well as anyone else considering a career in Law Enforcement...

There are multiple phases in the application process.  This is true in a variety of industries, but much more so in Law Enforcement/Public Safety.  And the process, even when an agency "fast tracks" (expedites the process), can take months to complete.  While the information below is based on my own experiences, in  medium sized agencies, it's indicative of the process that can occur.  There also can be a combination of phases, depending on the size of the agency in question.

There is typically some preliminary screening, sometimes by an HR department staffer, but more frequently, by someone within the LE community. Most agencies, regardless of size, have some sort of training unit, and these are the folks that usually do the preliminary screening, to see if applicants meet the absolute minimum requirements. 

Applications are divided into "Yes" or "No" piles, based on this first elimination process.  The "No" pile will get a letter saying they don't meet minimum qualifications.  The "Yes" pile will be further scrutinized, and in most cases, will get a letter indicating the next step in the process, which will be some form of testing. 

Depending on the agency, that testing can also be in multiple phases, testing things such as common sense, analytical processes, honesty, integrity, etc.  Also, there may or may not be a minimum typing speed needed, and this could be tested, depending on how much an agency relies on mobile data terminals in patrol cars. 

After the preliminary testing, there will be some sort of phyical agility testing, to make sure the applicant is physically capable of performing the tasks of the job.

There may also be some stress tests, hand/eye agility testing, to determine if applicants can do well under pressure, and their hand/eye coordination.

Once these are done, one gets into the interview process.  This could consist of several different interviews, with different levels within an agency. 

Once this is done, the applicant will get into the part where credit checks and other initial background information will be scrutinized.  This step could occur earlier in the process, but in my experience, it's usualy one of the later phases.

Physcological testing is also done, and is extensive.  The Polygraph is usually during this phase. 

Another round of interviews, and an extensive background check process, where various aspects of the applicant's life is scrutinized further.

These steps are as an example, based on agencies that I've worked for.  The ORDER may vary slightly, but there is a logical progression in the process.

Only after all phases are successfully completed, is a TENTATIVE offer of employment given to the applicant.  There may or may not be a final interview with an agency's command staff or Chief/Sheriff/Commander.

As you can see, the credit check is a very small portion of the entire process.  A questionable credit history doesn't automatically disqualifiy an applicant, unless there's some degree of fraud involved (such as a poster at another forum bragging about burning creditors for over $1million).  Fraud is not a good thing, and in most cases, no amount of explaining or justification can get past that.

For every 100 applicants for a position in Law Enforcement/Public Safety, perhaps 5 will be selected, and of those 5, 2-3 will be successful. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, I really think you'll be fine (at least on the credit side of things-- the rest, who knows.) Smiley Wink

Been a LEO in DC for 12 years. Just be honest, with regards to credit, if they have questions, they will ask. It doesn't appear that you have anything on your report that would be an immediate disqualifier.

And to echo others, do not lie or try to omit something you don't want to address, at any step in the process. THAT is what they are looking for. The person who will try to lie, cheat, avoid, or downplay their issue. THAT is not a person you want carrying a gun, giving orders with the force of law behind them, and having access to records not available to the public. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.