Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check total inaccuracy & Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit check total inaccuracy & Equifax

Strange thing happened today. i had signed up for credit check total 1$ - 3 B reports and fico scores trial few days ago and cancelled it before 7 days period was over.  the customer service agent told me that even after cancelling i can access my report up to 21st aug. today i received an alert saying a company named ' Hurley State Bank' accessed my Equifax report , so i assume this is a hard inquiry . i called equifax and told them about this , she verified my id and accessed my report and said that there is no such inquiry on my report. So i guess CCT is not accurate after all ? has anyone had this happen to them?

Btw Equifax is a pain. even after i sent them my id papers last year and they sent back my last year's free report , this year again they are asking for the same id papers. this agent i spoke to from equifax couldnt tell me how to fix this , she simply verified my id on phone and checked my report and told me i will receive my report in 7 to 10 days.  i would like to just get my report from annualcreditreport.com with out every year sending them sensitive id documents which i have already sent. this frustrates me. dont they have an id department that can track already sent id documents and update their system once for all ? this agent couldnt answer. but atleast now i am relieved that there no hard inquiry from unknown sources on my equifax. 

5 REPLIES 5
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit check total inaccuracy & Equifax

That's weird. I've never had to mail in documents. 

I don't know anything about Credit Check Total, but you know you can get your Equifax report from Credit Karma for free. So you could also double check with them to make sure nothing weird is going on. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 2 of 6
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Perhaps the accessing of your report was a SP and their system did not differentiate whether it was HP or SP, but just simply made it appear as an inquiry? 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i hope it is an sp. i checked on credit karma . no new hard inquiries . i did not know if credit karma report is accurate or not ,thats why i called equifax. i like experian and transunion ,never had any problems receiving my free reports from them. they also always show some 15 to 30 points higher score than equifax fico 8 . some how equifax stonewalls my credit reports from myself and lacks any organization where they have tracking the documents already sent. atleast this is my experience. im sure many of you have it smooth and easy with equifax. hope next year atleast i can get my free report without having to send them id papers again. i will write a long letter to their office highlighting this issue. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a reminder.  This forum is for discussing credit cards.  Threads about credit agencies belong in General Credit and this one will eventually be moved there.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

today i received an alert saying a company named ' Hurley State Bank' accessed my Equifax report , so i assume this is a hard inquiry . i called equifax and told them about this , she verified my id and accessed my report and said that there is no such inquiry on my report. So i guess CCT is not accurate after all ? has anyone had this happen to them? 

Don't assume.  Both HP's and SP's are pulls of your report.

Most of the monitoring services seem to be reliable but any monitoring service can have data issues.  If in doubt, always pull the report directly from the CRA to verify what's on your report.  The CRA is the official record.

@Anonymous wrote:

Btw Equifax is a pain. even after i sent them my id papers last year and they sent back my last year's free report , this year again they are asking for the same id papers. this agent i spoke to from equifax couldnt tell me how to fix this , she simply verified my id on phone and checked my report and told me i will receive my report in 7 to 10 days.  i would like to just get my report from annualcreditreport.com with out every year sending them sensitive id documents which i have already sent. this frustrates me. dont they have an id department that can track already sent id documents and update their system once for all ? this agent couldnt answer. but atleast now i am relieved that there no hard inquiry from unknown sources on my equifax.  

It's not unique to Equifax.  If there's incorrect data being used to verify your identitiy you'll run into this problem with any of a number of companies.  You have to sort it out with the company in question as the data source they're using for idenitity verifiation has to be corrected.  I don't know the details of what EQ uses off the top of my head but if I had this problem I'd be searching existing threads for what others did to correct this.  Don't overlook prior threads as a resource.  If any site's search feature isn't working for you then try a site restricted Google search.  Here's a sample relevant to you but I'm just tossing out some keywords and you may need to play with them to find exactly what you're looking for.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=equifax%20identity%20verification%20site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com

@Anonymous wrote:

they also always show some 15 to 30 points higher score than equifax fico 8 .

Has nothing to do with the CRA's and everything to do with the data in your reports.  Any scoring model uses the data in a report to generate a score.  FICO scores are not a product of the CRA's.  They are products of the Fair Isaac Corporation.  myFICO is a Fair Isaac site.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.