cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check total- numerous 1.00 trials???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit check total- numerous 1.00 trials???

I want to do the 1.00 trial period and cancel of course within the 7 days. Can you do another 1.00 trial period the next month when the scores update or is it a one time shot?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit check total- numerous 1.00 trials???

NVM. That was a dumb question. Why would I ever pay for it if I could do a free trial period every time. I guess I need more coffee. Lol

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, you can get multiple $1 trials in the same month.  I cancelled mine on 7/3 and I looged in yesterday and it said I was eligible for another $1 trial.  I don't know the exact number of days you need to wait, but I am sure someone on here does.  It seems to me like they are making it more difficult to cancel though, I called the number to cancel and was told that there was a long wait time and disconnected, so I had to email them to cancel.  They seem to be pushing the new product through Equifax (or maybe its Experian, I can never keep those two straight) for $4.95/month instead.  

Message 3 of 10
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

I am actually on my second trial that I will be canceling today. But what I did notice when I enrolled this time is they wouldnt let me enroll with the same credit card. So I used a different one, no biggie. And it's an Experian product. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

More and more people are posting things that suggest that Credit Check Total is looking into how they can contain what they regard as abuse of their $1 trial offer.  Sometimes the CSR on the phone is quite frank about the concern (gee it looks like you have signed up for this 20 times already).

I have been warning about this for a while.  It's a specific instance of a more general issue: which is when a cool loophole is found in an institution's fine print, and it results in people going gung ho with it.  Doctor of Credit warns about the risks of this and advises his readers to avoid abusing cool things, because it just induces the institution to close the loophole for the rest of us.  Sure, exploit the loophole, but not in a highly visible and extreme fashion -- that's what DoC advises.  For example, he suggests that when you get a bonus for opening a bank account or a credit card, you don't close the account two days after getting the bonus.  In the case of CCT, getting 30 $1 "trial" offers a year is a red flag to CCT.  Better (in my opinion) would be to do it quarterly.  That's just my take on it.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can do multiple CCT $1 trials.  Usually the day a $1 trial is up (Day 7) if you log back into your account the first thing you see is a "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'RE ELIGIBLE FOR ANOTHER $1 TRIAL MEMBERSHIP!"  I've always found it quite difficult to not abuse $1 trials when CCT so blatantly throws them in your face... LITERALLY the first thing you see when you log in.  I feel like if they didn't want you to do multiple $1 trials, they'd push a "real" membership on your first, then perhaps bury another $1 trial option down below in the fine print or something.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I definitely understand it.  And yet, more and more people are experiencing pockets of resistance from CCT about this -- you included I know, BBS!  (You've had CCT reps scolding you for the number of trials you've done -- if I remember you right from posts on other threads.)

As BBS knows, I am a huge CCT booster (though ironically I have never used it myself.)  I think it is wonderful that we can tell newcomers, who often have never pulled their reports and FICO scores before: "Hey, it costs a buck at CCT.  Go do it.")  I am on record as saying that hundreds of times.  I just want to make sure that I can continue to say that next year, and the year after, and so on. 

Message 7 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you can do multiple CCT $1 trials.  Usually the day a $1 trial is up (Day 7) if you log back into your account the first thing you see is a "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'RE ELIGIBLE FOR ANOTHER $1 TRIAL MEMBERSHIP!"  I've always found it quite difficult to not abuse $1 trials when CCT so blatantly throws them in your face... LITERALLY the first thing you see when you log in.  I feel like if they didn't want you to do multiple $1 trials, they'd push a "real" membership on your first, then perhaps bury another $1 trial option down below in the fine print or something.

Ditto!! I feel exactly the same way. If it wasn't thrown in my face the second I log on, I wouldn't be enticed to go for it. I feel that since they are offering it for $1, I am going to accept it for $1. Like BBS says, they should push a REAL membership on one first if that's what they are really trying to sell. But see, I know what the deal is. They think one will forget to cancel by the 7th day and then they are able to automatically charge $29.95. Well, the onus is on them to charge more than $1, not me to decline a $1 offer!

And they could even increase it to $5 for a 7-day trial. I would even pay that.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My take on it is if they will let you do it then why not? I'm not trying to cheat the system. I'm not doing anything wrong or lying etc. I just figured it was a dumb question by me thinking they wouldn't let you do multiple 1.00 trials. Well if they do, then I'm going to do it. Smiley Happy

I'm sure they're making a killing off the 1.00 fees. Probably making more and getting more people than if they were just straight up 30.00. Why pay 2.99 for a gallon gas if you have the option for 1.99? But I'm not one of those that takes 3 donuts when someone brings them in to be nice at work because I didn't pay. Lol. I'm not that guy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCT should try and find some sort of middle ground here.  I agree with the above post that said a $5 trial wouldn't be a bad move, as many would likely still pay for it.  They are definitely creating the problem (for which CS will scold you if you cancel with a human) by throwing $1 trials in our face every time we log in.  Even the wording of it is manipulative... "CONGRATULATIONS!" is the first word before "you're eligible for another $1 trial membership."  The world "congratulations" makes you feel like you just won something; you are special and certainly not everyone can be special right?  I just feel like CCT is really setting themselves up for failure by showcasing the $1 trials over their actual memberships.  I personally wish they'd do something about this as to not ruin the $1 trial all together.  As CGID said, I want to make sure these trial memberships are around for a very long time and don't get squashed any time soon.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.