Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit checks are becoming a bit too pervasive, I think

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit checks are becoming a bit too pervasive, I think

I don't remember credit checks to transfer service, but it's been a few years since I've worked for AT&T/SBC/Illions Bell. It's most likely for ID verification. You would believe how many deadbeat phone customers there are. The number of people that steal identities and make up SSN's just to run up a cell phone bill is amazing. I guess when your "baby daddy" is in prison, you'll do what it takes.

Also, since they sell DSL, Dish and wireless service, they obviously want to determine your creditworthiness for other products. The environment in those call centers is very pushy for sales. The pay is outstanding, but they push you to wits end for it.

Message 11 of 20
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't remember credit checks to transfer service, but it's been a few years since I've worked for AT&T/SBC/Illions Bell. It's most likely for ID verification. You would believe how many deadbeat phone customers there are. The number of people that steal identities and make up SSN's just to run up a cell phone bill is amazing. I guess when your "baby daddy" is in prison, you'll do what it takes.Smiley Very Happy

Also, since they sell DSL, Dish and wireless service, they obviously want to determine your creditworthiness for other products. The environment in those call centers is very pushy for sales. The pay is outstanding, but they push you to wits end for it.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 12 of 20
RiseandShine7907
Established Member

stanggt03: I was calling to get my AT&T Uverse tv service transferred, not phone service. While I get the need to verify customers identity, running credit checks doesn't seem like the way to go. I thought that was the purpose of having passwords/codes when you call in, by the way the rep did ask for mine. I was kinda pi***d when the rep said that they would run a check so I tuned him out a bit until he finished talking. He did say that they would run the check to see if I owed any other AT&T businesses(wireless, internet, phone ???) money, which I don't, and if I did I would have to put a cc on file. IMO it's a bunch of "you know what" because they can search their own system to see if I owe them money instead of running a credit check on a customer simply wanting to transfer service.
TU-720 --- 03/14
EQ-727 -- 03/14
Message 13 of 20
daylove
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is just another card to add to the pile of evidence that one really has to keep excellent credit.  Jobs, phone service, TV service, it all requires credit checks now.  Sooner or later, you'll have to get your credit checked before you get a check up at the doctor's office - I swear, we're not far from that point.

We should fight for our privacy like they do in Europe where companies cannot ask your SS#  or equivalent. I rather pay the deposit that give them my #.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daylove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is just another card to add to the pile of evidence that one really has to keep excellent credit.  Jobs, phone service, TV service, it all requires credit checks now.  Sooner or later, you'll have to get your credit checked before you get a check up at the doctor's office - I swear, we're not far from that point.

We should fight for our privacy like they do in Europe where companies cannot ask your SS#  or equivalent. I rather pay the deposit that give them my #.

And you can do just that.  You don't have to give any utility company your SSN as long as you are willing to pay a deposit.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@daylove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And you can do just that.  You don't have to give any utility company your SSN as long as you are willing to pay a deposit.

Yep. You won't get any digital services with a provider by doing so, but you can refuse and pay a deposit.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@daylove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep. You won't get any digital services with a provider by doing so, but you can refuse and pay a deposit.

Yeah.  Personally, I think it's quite absurd to believe any company is going to go out on a limb with a customer for several hundred dollars without either verifying their creditworthiness or getting a deposit.  Kind of stupid to think that a CC company or even a car rental agency won't go out on a limb for $500 without a credit check, yet a phone company should risk a couple of thousand $$ in IDD calls without knowing anything about you. 

Message 17 of 20
daylove
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@daylove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah.  Personally, I think it's quite absurd to believe any company is going to go out on a limb with a customer for several hundred dollars without either verifying their creditworthiness or getting a deposit.  Kind of stupid to think that a CC company or even a car rental agency won't go out on a limb for $500 without a credit check, yet a phone company should risk a couple of thousand $$ in IDD calls without knowing anything about you. 

A car rental does not ask you for the SS#. BTW, I have digital & Satellite services...

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use a debit card, most car rental agencies will run a credit check. If your information doesn't fully match your report, you will be asked for your SSN.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daylove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@daylove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A car rental does not ask you for the SS#. BTW, I have digital & Satellite services...

A car rental agency most certainly does run your credit if you are attempting to rent with a debit card.  If you use a credit card, they have you pegged as already credit qualified.  If not, they run your credit and if it is not good they refuse to rent to you.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.