Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit.com/CK/CS Amex Charge Card Util?

tag
JHorowitz
Established Member

Credit.com/CK/CS Amex Charge Card Util?

A lot of people say Amex Charge cards don't factor into UTIL.

According to CK, that is true, it is not factored in.

According to Credit.com & CreditSesame, they do indeed factor it in (highest balance is the card's credit limit).

So, does that mean Experian factors in Amex Charge card's UTIL? Or is Credit.com/CS just wrong in that respect?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit.com/CK/CS Amex Charge Card Util?

Depends on the scoring algorithm.  FICO does not.

Which pages are you referencing on Credit.com & CS?  This page, for example

http://blog.credit.com/2012/11/does-your-credit-score-care-what-kind-of-credit-card-youre-using/

states:

With the latest FICO credit scoring models, charge cards are not included in credit utilization calculations,
Message 2 of 4
JHorowitz
Established Member

@takeshi74 wrote:

Depends on the scoring algorithm.  FICO does not.

Which pages are you referencing on Credit.com & CS?  This page, for example

http://blog.credit.com/2012/11/does-your-credit-score-care-what-kind-of-credit-card-youre-using/

states:

With the latest FICO credit scoring models, charge cards are not included in credit utilization calculations,

(Using example numbers) On credit.com, on the main page, it says my total CL is $24248 which is my CL + my highest balance from my Amex charge card. Which makes my UTIL 15%. So it's obvious they included Amex in my UTIL.

On CS my UTIL is exactly also 15%, so I know their UTIL calculation is the same as credit.com

On CK, it states my total CL is $20,000. It seperates my Amex charge card as "open" so my UTIL is listed as 24%, which is correct and exactly how it should be.

Thank you. I know not to pay attention to credit.com and CS's UTIL.

Message 3 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

As a slight clarification, Amex charge accounts do not count for utilization for FICO except for FICO TU98, which is the version of TU that you get here.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.