Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit history length?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit history length?

Mine is currently showing 2 years and 6 months.  What length of time is considered good?

Thanks

Tara

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit history length?

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine is currently showing 2 years and 6 months.  What length of time is considered good?

Thanks

Tara

Is that your oldest credit line, or your average age of account? If it's AAoA, it's in the fair range as far as credit goes. About 5 years or so is good, and once you get to 8 years or more there is very little benefit for additional time. If that's the age of your oldest account, it's considered weak as far as credit goes.

Message 2 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

Tara

Is that your oldest credit line, or your average age of account? If it's AAoA, it's in the fair range as far as credit goes. About 5 years or so is good, and once you get to 8 years or more there is very little benefit for additional time. If that's the age of your oldest account, it's considered weak as far as credit goes.

Guessing age of oldest account by most people's presentation; mine is 7 years and considered "Fair" in the various 3rd party representations I've seen including here for FICO.

Tara: not much you can do other than let time pass these days, that stat will improve over time as long as you keep one tradeline (usually a $0 AF credit card or similar) open forever.

        
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive ruined my credit before so this is starting over. I got a secured cap one 2 yrs 6 months ago. Today the 3 credit score thig said olest acct 26 yrs! Not sure what that would be. Maybe something my mom added me on.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.