Established Contributor

Credit improves as Installments fall

Just got off the phone with a Fico employee. The employee told me that
while Revolving debt (credit cards) are weighted heavier in the fico formula then Installment accounts (student, auto loans) you can expect your fico to improve as
you pay down installment debt. I know this is true because I just received a 8 point score boost via scorewatch because I made a significant payment against the principal of a student loan, which in turn lowered my overall debt by several hundred dollars.

This feeds into our earlier discussion about whether to pay down student loans faster or slower. The proven answer seems to be, IF YOU WANT A HIGHER FICO SCORE QUICKER, then start putting bigger money towards your loans. Or, if you like your fico to grow at a slow pace, then just pay the minimum balance owed each month.

I think all of us here want our Fico's to improve ASAP, so a proven way to do that is to pay down your installment debt faster. Of course, if you have a problem with high revolving debt (credit cards), then you need to tackle that first. After that, I am becoming a strong advocate for paying off loans faster then the minimum.

Your score will go up much faster!
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit improves as Installments fall

Yep, paying down any debt will only improve your scores.
Valued Member

on myfico i tried that score simulation thing and it stated that i would raise my score 100 points if i pay my revolving accounts down below 30% over a 24 month period.  If i made one lump sum payment to pay them all down below 30% it would only raise my score 15 points.  crazy hu!!!
Super Contributor

motoracer wrote:
on myfico i tried that score simulation thing and it stated that i would raise my score 100 points if i pay my revolving accounts down below 30% over a 24 month period.  If i made one lump sum payment to pay them all down below 30% it would only raise my score 15 points.  crazy hu!!!

When it calculates the score over a 24 month period it factors in the ageing effect as well as paying off all the bills. And it assumes perfection in that time, so the score increase is much higher
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Established Contributor

yes that's why--it's taking into account your most recent missed payment--so if it was a year ago, there isn't much sense in paying it off extremely fast, because you won't get the history of showing good payments, but if the account has been around for 4 years or so with no missed payments and you start rapidly paying it down, then you will get a big score jump
Valued Member

I know ive got 1 freaking late this year it was with Harley Davidson I was in Iraq for 2 months, Im single so I had no one to make the payment for me. I sent a GW letter to HD and it was a big no!! dand it!!
New Contributor

What about a student loan that's still in deferentment?...do they have any negative effect on your CR?
Valued Member

late in 06
Frequent Contributor

one of my student loans had a late payment on it , i notice when i paid it off, when i contacted them about it they verified it , i had no knowledge of ever paying  late, because if at any time if  i was unable to pay i would defer forber it, anyway i gave them a  gw call, and next time viewed my cr i one late was off. maybe you should try the same. good luck.....
Frequent Contributor

by the waythe one lateness was said to be in the beginning. my other student loan is good no lates. make the call and see what happens 
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.