Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit inquiries within two weeks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit inquiries within two weeks

Hi,

I'm applying for an apartment lease and the owner/agent will check my credit today or tomorrow. I'm a relative newcomer to the US (moved approx. 18 months ago) and I am looking to building my credit. I would like to get an installment/credit builder loan.

If I apply for the credit builder loan in the coming days, will this be treated as one inquirie (given that both inquiries are so close to each other) or not?

Thanking you in advance!

DPW

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit inquiries within two weeks

FICO will view them as separate inquiries. The only time FICO ignores credit inquiries is when you apply for a mortgage (not an apartment), student loan, or auto loan and you have multiple inquiries for each category. FICO then ignores the duplicate inquiries within each category if the inquiries were pulled within a specific time frame. That time frame varies by FICO version but is anywhere from 14 to 45 days with most commonly used FICO versions at 30 and 45. So, if you apply 100 times for a mortgage in a 2 week period, FICO will ignore 99 of those. In your example, FICO doesn't consider personal loan inquiry or the apartment inquiry as a mortgage, car, or SL inquiry. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.