Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit inquiries...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit inquiries...

Last friday I applied for an auto loan through DCU... So I'm sitting at work today and get the notification from MyFico letting me know my score had changed. I had been expecting this, but what I wasn't expecting was what happened next. So I open the app to check my new score and lo-and-behold my score went... Wait for it... UP! It went from 713 to 720 because I applied for a line of credit. Isn't it supposed to work the other way around. Does this happen often? It was Equifax btw. I'm not complaining, in any way, shape or form. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit inquiries...

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit inquiries...

Something else changed honestly.  Inquiries are not positive, and SW only tracks overt changes (adds, or changes, not removals seemingly) on one's credit report, and as I've found such things get rolled up into a balance update or new account or inquiry being added.

Least with my most recent experience:

FICO '04: 0 -> 1 inquiry, no penalty

FICO 8: 1 -> 2 inquiries, loss of 6 points (thanks Verizon =/).

YMMV depending how many inquiries you had listed at the time as to what penalty (which may have been zero) was assessed.

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.