Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit inquiry

tag
bennen
Established Member

Credit inquiry

I recently disputed some inquires that were on my credit file I got a response back from a company that said that inquries could remain on my file for 1 year and 2 years if the request was made for employment. I got excitied and contacted everyone that ran my credit a year ago and older to remove inquries from my file well one company wrote back and asked for the date they requested my credit. Should I give them this date I feel like they should know what date they requested my credit file. Please help!

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit inquiry

The party who made the inquiry has nothing to do with deletion of the inquiry from your credit file or from credit scoring.

That is a decision made by the CRA.

If you challenge that the inquiry was made without permissible purpose, and was thus improper, recourse is to file a dispute with the CRA.  You cannot dispute inquires directly with the party who made the inquiry, as the rules exempt direct disputes pertaining to credit inquiries.

Once a CRA has filled an inquiry, they consider it to be a done deed, and are extremely reluctant to delete.

There is not problem providing info related to an inquiry to the CRA, such as its date.

There is no statutory period under the FCRA governing the period of removal of credit inquiriues.

The CRAs have decided, based on a balancing of database space needed for millions of inquiries vs the continued value to their customers as time progresses, to delete inquiries from their files at approx two years from date of inquiry.

As for FICO scoring, Fair Isaac considers inquiries to have lost their risk predictive value at approx one year, and thus they discontinue inquiires from scoring afte one year.

Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@bennen wrote:

Please help!

Don't dispute inquiries unless there was no permissible purpose.  Make sure you understand the defintion of permissible purpose under the FCRA.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were the inquiries unauthorized? The agencies can check via your signature on a document or by ip address if an online application was done. You don't want to trigger any posible fraud alerts.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.