Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit karma/Equifax weekly drops

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit karma/Equifax weekly drops

For the past 3 weeks my Equifax score has consistently dropped. First 7 points, then 11 points, this week it dropped 3 points. I thought it was bc I disputed an item the first week. But it continues to drop with no other changes. Does anyone know why?!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit karma/Equifax weekly drops

I don't know what your credit profile looks like, so it'd be hard to pinpoint. But if this helps any, my wife just had the same experience. CK scores were dropping by 1 or 2 or 7 points a week and I couldn't figure out why. TU was in the 670s and EQ was in the 680s before the drops. Got down to TU 662 and EQ 679. She pulled her FICO scores a few days later and her TU is 727 and EQ is 723 and EX is 737. Go figure. Credit scoring can be predictably unpredictable at times.

Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There's no way we would know as there are countless possible reasons and combinations of reasons.  To determine the cause(s) of any scoring change you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.  CK allows you to view historical report data.

Changes are not just new accounts or removal of old accounts.  Again, carefully compare for changes.

Message 3 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I only use Credit Karma for the free access to the TU and EQ credit reports... their scores just aren't reliable enough for me. 

A few months ago, I had a 50+ point drop in a single day on my Credit Karma EQ score; I finally figured out it was due to an old (positive) mortgage account aging off.  Notably, there was only minimal impact to my EQ FICO... I think it dropped 5 points or so.  The CK scores also seem to vary quite 'wildly' based on small utilization changes, while FICO seems to be more stable in that it only reacts to large changes, at least for me.

I've said for a while that IMO Credit Karma scores can be safely ignored... I only use them to serve as 'alarms' that something might be going on within my reports that I should check into.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.