Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit newbie needs advice

tag
mb123
New Visitor

Credit newbie needs advice

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to these forums and to thinking about my credit in general, and I would love some advice - you can be brutal. Here's my quick financial backstory.

I am 27 years old with a credit score of 589. My only debt is student loans - but they are a whopping 55k. Due to my own carelessness and financial difficultures with my family, I had late payments on these loans for several months in a row late last year. After getting a panic attack from all the calls from debt collectors, I finally took full control of my finances and committed to getting myself on track. When I looked at my credit report I realized I was associated with accounts of my mom's (credit cards that I was an authorized user on as a child in case of emergencies), many of which were extremely late. I got all these items removed from my report. I also had never opened a credit card in my own name (thinking this was smart and would keep me from going into debt), and when I realized I needed one to build credit my credit was too low to be qualified for any good cards. So, I recently opened a capitol one secured master card with a $200 limit. My #1 priority is now paying all my bills on time and aggressively paying off my student loans with the goal to be debt free by the time I am 31. Some questions I have:

-I know I need to improve my line of credit to help boost my score. Would I be better off putting $1k into my secured card to increase my current line of credit, or opening up another secured card for $1k? Assuming of course I keep a low balance on all of these

-How much will paying off my loans faster than I need to improve my score?

-I am using a credit monitoring system through mint. If I pay all my bills on time for a year, and increase my line of credit by 1k, I should be able to raise my score to nearly 700 in a year. Are there other things I can do to help improve this that I have not thought about? I have read lots of articles but would love some advice on my personal situation.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit newbie needs advice

Hello!  The limit doesn't matter, it's the balance.  But you should open at least another secured card.  Keep the balance on one at zero and the other at 1-9% of it's limit for optimal scoring potential.  Three might be even better.  Got to a credit union for your next secured card and they might turn it into a regular credit card over time and you build good history with the C. U.  They are much more lenient as they loan inhouse.  If you don't have your checking and savings with a CU, I can't tell you what your missing!

Paying off your loans won't help your score.  Installment loans are scored differently than revolving debt.  Just make the payments on time each month and this will help your score.  Though its a great idea to get out of debt, so don't not pay it off because of this reason.

Time will heal!  Good job getting on this at a young age.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.