cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit pulled w/out permission - recourse??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit pulled w/out permission - recourse??

You can put a freeze on your credit reports in the future. No password, no new lender credit pull. You can turn it off and on, so you don't have to release the password. I am doing it to all 3 credit reports. Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 14
ozgirl
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, newbie here. I'm hoping for some knowledgeable advice. Thanks in advance.

I just purchased a new car from a dealer and they pulled my credit after I specifically told the salesperson not to do so. I even wrote it on the "Credit Application".

The salesman told me that I had to fill out personal info on the form due to the Patriot Act. I put my address & SSN only (no salary/wages info), signed it and wrote "DO NOT PULL MY CREDIT" next to my signature.

I did not need any financing because I came in with a Capital One Auto Finance "Blank Check".

These morons still can't figure out who pulled it and why. At least that's the story from the salesman.

Aren't these idiots accountable even after I told them verbally and wrote it on the form? Any advice?

Do you have the form?  Tell them to remove the inquiry if they dont request a copy of the form.  You may file a complaint with the FTC but car dealers are notorious for these tactics.  The salesman gets a cut of the loan origination if he could better deal Cap One. I'd let them know that I was going to make the FTC aware of the fact thatthey pull clients credit files even after getting written instruction not to.  But first have the paper in your hand.

Had something simillar with a new cable company.  Was thinking of changing asked rep if pull would be hard are soft insured soft. The next day I get an alert for a hard.  I had already set up the service and because of my internet needs would have been a high dollar acocunt.  They had a choice to remove it or loosete account.
Message Edited by Brammy on 08-24-2007 06:24 PM
We had a similar experience in April--that I just discovered. We went into a dealership with full intent of paying cash for the vehicle. While negotiating we were asked to fill out some forms. We protested when asked for social security number and assured the saleman we were going to pay cash. He assured us that nothing would be done with the information--just standard procedure. We agreed on a price and I wrote the check for a very substantial amount. As he was bringing us all of the docs he produced a report showing our FICO scores etc... I was kind of surprised but figured that since we were not seeking any financing this would not matter. Well, I was wrong. Now I want that hit off of my report. I am disputing it. I am also going to write a letter to the dealership and complain about this business practice.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tuscani wrote:

Tuscani,

Thanks for the link!! My wife thinks I'm beating a dead horse, but I am definitely going to send this letter to the dealership. Maybe the $$$ will create some actual response from these idiots. The threat of a wallet hit usually wakes up most comatose morons. They sent me some dispute form in the mail to sign, but I'm not signing anything else for these guys. I'm sure they're going to be ecstatic when they get word of the complaints I filed with the BBB & FTC also. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 14
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

Tuscani,

Thanks for the link!! My wife thinks I'm beating a dead horse, but I am definitely going to send this letter to the dealership. Maybe the $$$ will create some actual response from these idiots. The threat of a wallet hit usually wakes up most comatose morons. They sent me some dispute form in the mail to sign, but I'm not signing anything else for these guys. I'm sure they're going to be ecstatic when they get word of the complaints I filed with the BBB & FTC also. Smiley Happy

Keep us updated!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.