Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report check by Landlords

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit report check by Landlords

Hi, Why is the credit report check by Landlords considered a "Hard Inquiry"? And How long does this entry remain on one's credit report? Please be specify with your replies. Thanks, Ajay.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit report check by Landlords

Hard inquiries remain on your credit report for 2 years. After 1 year, they do not count toward your overall FICO score.

Please check out the thread scoring 101 on this site. It is loaded with great information. Welcome to the forums.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Let me rephrase my first question. Does a credit check done by a landlord be registered as "HARD INQUIRY"? Thanks, Ajay.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Often times yes. It depends on the management company renting. You may want to ask the company what their policy is and whether or not they will just do a sfot pull for you.
Message 4 of 8
mlynne37wiu
Valued Member

That's good to know.  I wasn't sure what kind of pull it was.
October 2008 TU 687 EQ 644 EX 698

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have a credit history and nobody is ready to co-sign because the rental companies do a hard inquiry against their credit report. This is a big problem for people like me.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask the management company if they will accept a self pulled report if you do it in their office?..have your cosigner print the myfico report in their office. Worth asking!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I co-manage our apartment building with my husband. The realty company always does hard pulls, however, under certain circumstances we have agreed (the realty company) to do a soft pull only. YMMV.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.