cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report for employment purposes while initial fraud alert is on there....Problem?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit report for employment purposes while initial fraud alert is on there....Problem?

Hello!

I had an iterview with financial institution recently. They pulled my credit report as a part of their screening process. The problem is - I have initial 90 day fraud alert added to all 4 credit bureaus. Will this be an issue? I am afraid I wont pass the credit check....

Thanks!

Eq. 779
Exp. 768
TU 757

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit report for employment purposes while initial fraud alert is on there....Problem?

Does the fraud alert lock your report to prevent anyone ( other than existing creditors ) from pulling it ?

If so I don't know that they could actually pull your report.   I'm sure if they are unable to pull your report they will let you know....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit report for employment purposes while initial fraud alert is on there....Problem?

What is a fraud alert?
An alert places a statement on your credit report. If an imposter attempts to obtain credit in your name, the creditor will check your credit and will encounter a statement that says something to this effect: "I may be a victim of fraud. Call me at my phone number 123-456-7890 before extending credit."

Message 3 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

It should not be. You may want to tell them about the alert and why just in case.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Here are the limitations placed on files once an initial fraud alert is reported under FCRA 605A:

1. It lasts for 90-days, unless converted into an "extended alert" by filing of a request and a copy of a police report.

2. It may be rescinded at any time by the consumer.

3.Once placed in the file and active, it requires that any credit report issued while in effect must include a notification that

the consumer does not authorize the establishment of any credit plan or extension of credit without the consumer's express consent.

4. the CRA with which the initial alert is requested must forward the request to each of the other big-three CRAs, who will also place the alert in their files.

It does not block access to your CR, but merely advises those who pull it that they are not authorized to open an account of extend credit in your name without your prior, specific approval.  The employer should be able to pull it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.