Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score after debt settlement

tag
Nurse1
New Visitor

Credit score after debt settlement

I've paid off two major debts within the past six months through debt consolidation.  I'm about to pay $13,000 off, which was offered as a settlement (down from $20,000) for another account and I'm wondering how this is going to affect my credit score.  This particular account is in the hands of a law office.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit score after debt settlement

If you haven't already, make sure that the payment is a PFD, payment for deletion. In other words, they agree to remove ALL derogatory information from the 3 main CRA's (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian), plus any other to whom they may report (Innovis, ChoicePlus, and on and on.) You want to get this in writing, signed by someone at the collections agency and/or law firm who has the authority to do this. If the account reports at all, it should show as paid in full.

It should be no skin off their noses to do this, but they like to get snotty about this, especially if they think that they can get more money out of you. But it is VERY important to get the negative information off of your credit reports.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Nurse1
New Visitor

Re: Credit score after debt settlement

Thanks for the info.  I have until 2/15 to accept the offer, which I think I will.  I never knew that you could do that.  I appreciate the advice.  When I speak with them, I'll make sure to ask.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.