cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score dropped 88 pts after updating personal info

tag
geminiash1

Credit score dropped 88 pts after updating personal info

TU and Equifax had incorrect names and old address from 10+ years ago.  I updated both and my score dropped 78 pts with TU and 88 pts with Equifax.  Why would that happen??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit score dropped 88 pts after updating personal info

Are you sure nothing else changed on your reports at the same time?  Perhaps the introduction of a negative item?

Message 2 of 6
geminiash1

Nothing else changed. I've been hounding my reliefs and alerts
Message 3 of 6
geminiash1

*reports
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Names are not a scoring factor, so they cannot be the reason your scores dropped.  Why they dropped I do not know, but it wasn't from a change to your personal information.  Perhaps a "dispute" is causing one or more of your accounts to not be considered for scoring purposes (until the dispute is over) and depending on which account(s) those are, it could change something dramatically like your utilization. 

For example, you have 2 credit cards, one has a $500 limit and the other has a $5000 limit.  You have a $430 balance on the $500 card and a $0 balance on the $5000 card.  Due to a dispute, the $5000 card for whatever reason is removed from the equation.  Your aggregate utilization in this illustration goes from 8% (ideal) to 86% (near maxed out) which would certainly result in a scoring drop similar to the one you referenced.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As BBS indicates, changing personal information won't cause a score change, let alone an 88 point one.  As you mention that these are EQ and TU scores, I assume that you're getting them from CreditKarma.  If so, those are not FICO scores but Vantage 3.0 scores.  While a legitimate scoring system, Vantage scores are used by very few lenders and no credit cards ones that are known.  Additionally, CK is well known for scoring glitches based on minor changes to your reports.  Ultimately I wouldn't be too concerned about what is being reported.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.