Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit uined by sociopahs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit uined by sociopahs

I have recently been the victim of identity theft by a family of violent sociopaths. Edited. I only do so to protect those who may be reading this from them. They are increidbly exellent theives. They even managed to get mine and my Dad's checking account numbers. Where does one go from here? Is recovery possible? Can the ruined credit be passed on to them in a law suite or is that not possible?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit uined by sociopahs

Hi Sociopaths_are_mistakes, libelous posts aren't allowed on here and was edited out. I've been wronged by others before, but this forum isn't an out for that. 

Start by pulling your free reports from annualcreditreport.com. Ask your father (or any other family member) to do the same who may have been impacted. Look in great detail for any account that could have been opened by an identity thief. Also, pull your free Chexsystem report as that would indicate who opened a deposit account in your name.

If you are 100% positive you have been a victim of identity theft, then CALL THE POLICE! Get a report filed for identity theft. If you do not take this very important step, then it will be forever assumed that no identity theft ever took place, and it will be assumed that this is your debt and ultimately you might be forced to pay for it. Show the police your proof that this family is responsible.

Close your bank accounts if you have not done so already. If your banking accounts were compromised, then get the bank to pull up copies of all of your checks. If they used your bank account to forge checks, then it can easily be proved that it is not yours by handwriting samples.

This can be reversed with the help of the police. After you have the police report, then you can use that report to unravel all of this and to fix your credit. If the family is proven to have been behind this, and you have specific proof that an individual or individuals did indeed open an account in your name, then you can sue them for monetary damages, but you would have to show a financial loss as a result of their actions. 

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit uined by sociopahs

Congress amended the FCRA some time ago to help consumers who are the victem of identity theft.  The FCRA has some pretty powerful provisions that I suggest you consider.  And it all begins, as recommended, by the filing of a police report.

Armed with your sworn statement in the form of the police report, the FCRA permits you to:

1. Compel the creditor to provide you copies of all business records on the account related to its opening and/or use.  A mini-discovery right.that is not availiable by way of the normal FCRA dispute process.

2. Send a copy to the CRAs, and get the information blocked from your credit report.

3. Block the account from being sold or referred for collection.

4.  If a debt collector has already reported, compel them to likewise provide you copies of records in their possession.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.