Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit utilization not updated?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit utilization not updated?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just checked the complete credit report. and it turns out September hasn't been reported by Wells Fargo yet. So my question is, how come my credit score did go down? I had one HP from Cap 1, but I was approved and 18 points is a lot for just one pull...

It likely went down from the inquiry, the new account and possibly a reduction in AAoA.  18 points isn't a lot, and usually at least half of them if not more will be recovered within 3 months.  How thin is your file?  I'd guess relatively thin based on your score drop.

Check your credit report and see what date WF usually reports on.  Once that date passes this month, pull your scores again and likely WF will have reported again this time with your correct balance and thus utilization.  You'll likely see a nice score increase, chances are quite in excess of what you lost from that new account.  Remember you want a small balance to report on one revolving account, so if you completely paid off your balances your gain won't be as great as if you leave a small balance.  Going from 80% utilization to single digit utilization will be a great improvement though.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Data point....my WF accounts do not report monthly, it's typically its every 2 months. Annoying I know. 

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just checked the complete credit report. and it turns out September hasn't been reported by Wells Fargo yet. So my question is, how come my credit score did go down? I had one HP from Cap 1, but I was approved and 18 points is a lot for just one pull...

It likely went down from the inquiry, the new account and possibly a reduction in AAoA.  18 points isn't a lot, and usually at least half of them if not more will be recovered within 3 months.  How thin is your file?  I'd guess relatively thin based on your score drop.

Check your credit report and see what date WF usually reports on.  Once that date passes this month, pull your scores again and likely WF will have reported again this time with your correct balance and thus utilization.  You'll likely see a nice score increase, chances are quite in excess of what you lost from that new account.  Remember you want a small balance to report on one revolving account, so if you completely paid off your balances your gain won't be as great as if you leave a small balance.  Going from 80% utilization to single digit utilization will be a great improvement though.

What's AAoA?

Hmmm, maybe that's why it dropped so much, because I have thin file, I read a HP only decreases your score by 5-10 points, so 18 points was surprising to me. Also, the score probably drops steadily if utilization doesn't go down. On Experian.com it says that the last time WF reported the balance was on September 6th, however, my previous score update was on September 5th, and that already reflected the balance (supposedly) reported on September 6th. Anyway, today is October 7th and no update yet, actually, I still haven't received my statements for neither my checking account nor credit account with WF. They are definitely late, I usually get it beteween the 5th and 6th... they are such a freakin mess.... I want to close everything with WF!!! But I should not close my oldest credit card, so I'm stuck with that horrible bank. Is there a class action lawsuit already? I want it, but that's a different topic. 

I don't get why paying off a balance in full results in a lower score than having some balance. Sometimes this whole credit thing is anything but logical. Ok, maybe if the account has been sitting in $0 for a while, it makes sense for the score to go down, because it means you don't even use your credit, so how can they know if there's risk or not. But if you go from 80% utilization to 0%, that should mean you are good at paying all of your debt quickly. I think they just want you to always be paying, if you don't owe money, they don't make money (lenders), that's why. If I want to avoid interest charges I need to have no balance, but then I need balance to have a better score.

So WF reports every other month? That's annoying and inconvenient... I hate WF.

Message 13 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's AAoA?

Hmmm, maybe that's why it dropped so much, because I have thin file, I read a HP only decreases your score by 5-10 points, so 18 points was surprising to me. Also, the score probably drops steadily if utilization doesn't go down. On Experian.com it says that the last time WF reported the balance was on September 6th, however, my previous score update was on September 5th, and that already reflected the balance (supposedly) reported on September 6th. Anyway, today is October 7th and no update yet, actually, I still haven't received my statements for neither my checking account nor credit account with WF. They are definitely late, I usually get it beteween the 5th and 6th... they are such a freakin mess.... I want to close everything with WF!!! But I should not close my oldest credit card, so I'm stuck with that horrible bank. Is there a class action lawsuit already? I want it, but that's a different topic. 

I don't get why paying off a balance in full results in a lower score than having some balance. Sometimes this whole credit thing is anything but logical. Ok, maybe if the account has been sitting in $0 for a while, it makes sense for the score to go down, because it means you don't even use your credit, so how can they know if there's risk or not. But if you go from 80% utilization to 0%, that should mean you are good at paying all of your debt quickly. I think they just want you to always be paying, if you don't owe money, they don't make money (lenders), that's why. If I want to avoid interest charges I need to have no balance, but then I need balance to have a better score.

So WF reports every other month? That's annoying and inconvenient... I hate WF.

AAoA = Average Age of Accounts

Letting 0% report looks like you have the credit but can't manage using it. If you have a credit card and never use it, how does that show a lender you can use and manage a credit card? I know it's funky but it's the game Smiley Happy I would say not to play the utilization game unless you are prepping to app for something

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

AAoA = Average Age of Accounts

Letting 0% report looks like you have the credit but can't manage using it. If you have a credit card and never use it, how does that show a lender you can use and manage a credit card? I know it's funky but it's the game Smiley Happy I would say not to play the utilization game unless you are prepping to app for something

Thanks!

Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying, it makes sense for the score to go down if you continously keep the credit card with $0 for months, because as you said, how can a lender know that you use and manage a credit card if you never use it. But, if from one month to another you went from high utilization to no balance, then you are obviously using your credit card, and you are obviously responsible enough to avoid debt.

I have never been late, and I always pay more than the minimum amount per month, just this summer whas tough because I graduated from college and I had no job for three months, so I had high utilization in my CC. Still, my score was above 700, and that's thanks to good planning on my side. Now my score dropped below 700, probably due to the HP from Cap1, and the AAoA, but that's BS because paying off my balance should have kept me above 700, but WF hasn't report, or won't report until November (if it's true that they report every other month).

The thing is that I want to apply to more credit cards, so I was hoping for an increase in my score to something around 730, not 685. My WF secured CC sucks, and they haven't offered to upgrade me to an unsecured card (after 1 year and 8 months, and now with a good job). I have $300 of  secured deposit sitting there doing nothing for me, and that's the credit limit, $300, pathetic. Other banks increase your limit without having to deposit more money, but not WF, because why would they? they are committed to being the worst amongst the worst (banks are inherently bad in my opinion, they go broke and we have to save them, if we go broke we are screwed). So, with $300 of CL, it's good for nothing, $200 and you are already in negative score territory for high utilization, that's why I need other cards. I already have a Cap 1 Qucksilver One, with $2000 CL, but I want a travel rewards card that I use for business travel expenses (that I get reimbursed for anyway) so I get points and stuff. A Discover IT miles and/or a Chase Hyatt.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you pay off your balances and show 0% utilization you aren't using any credit, so you lose points in the "utilization" category.  If you have zero utilization there is no data; it looks like you aren't using your credit.  There are easy work-arounds though for this in terms of both revolving accounts (credit cards) and installment loans that can be accomplished in about 1 month of time.  For CC's, you just let one card report a small balance... even $5-$10 which will show 1% utilization for FICO scoring purposes.  Problem solved there.  For installment loans, look up the share secure loan technique where it's basically a small loan of $500 or so that you pay down to 9% or so the first month and then pay a dollar a month for a period of years.  For those years, you have an installment loan as part of your credit mix that's at 1%-9% utilization which provides optimal FICO scoring.  Adding this type of loan or reporting a balance on a credit card can usually be accomplished in about a month, so in theory 30 days or so from now your score can be 700+ which is what you're after.

Message 16 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

Remember your report is a snapshot of that moment. A computer doesn't look at past usage, just what's showing at that instant.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.