Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit

Im 21 right now and I got my first credit card ever around febraury/march from capital one (secured card). Credit karma says my score with transunion is 700 and the other 688 for equifax.

Ive tired applying for other cards but i keep getting denied even from my bank (chase) which ive had a checking account with them forever. I have like 7 hard inquires from equifax that I hope will go away with time or I'll dispute 1-2.

I pay everything on time and early like a week after a purchase and dont spend that much from my card. They did raise my secured card from $300 to $500 without me even asking.

So I want to know what other card I can apply for that will approve me so I can raise my credit card because I plan on buying a house sometime next year.

And if you guys have any suggestions/tips on what I should do to with my credit to get it better or maintain it high, would appreciate it since Im fairly new to this.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

Im 21 right now and I got my first credit card ever around febraury/march from capital one (secured card). Credit karma says my score with transunion is 700 and the other 688 for equifax.

Ive tired applying for other cards but i keep getting denied even from my bank (chase) which ive had a checking account with them forever. I have like 7 hard inquires from equifax that I hope will go away with time or I'll dispute 1-2.

I pay everything on time and early like a week after a purchase and dont spend that much from my card. They did raise my secured card from $300 to $500 without me even asking.

So I want to know what other card I can apply for that will approve me so I can raise my credit card because I plan on buying a house sometime next year.

And if you guys have any suggestions/tips on what I should do to with my credit to get it better or maintain it high, would appreciate it since Im fairly new to this.

Thank you.

Just to let you know Credit Karma is not your FICO score.  While it can be used to help you to understand your score it is not what most places use to determing credit worthiness.  I believe Chase likes to see a longer history than the few months that you have.

You will not be able to dispute a hard pull if you requested that pull.  They are very hard to remove and you have to show proof that you did not allow it.

To help your score have 3 cards.  Have two report a $0 balance and the third one report less than 9%.

Message 2 of 25
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried Discover's IT? I got in with them Sophmore year with a starting limit of $1,500 with only a US Bank College Visa reporting at $550.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking about pulling my credit score from annualcreditreport.com but wanted to wait till i build a bit more since you can only pull it once a year without paying.

I was going to pull it from this site but dont want to pay monthly for this.

Also whe you say $0 balance on two cards like not spend nothing on two cards and on the third card spend a little bit of my credit.

The dispute is because I see two inquires i dont reconginize so maybe if i dispute it they will tell me for sure.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really I've been scared to apply for any other card since I kept getting denied.

I was thinking of going for capital one quicksilver or the chase freedom. But Ill take a look into that discover card.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking about pulling my credit score from annualcreditreport.com but wanted to wait till i build a bit more since you can only pull it once a year without paying.

Also whe you say $0 balance on two cards like not spend nothing on two cards and on the third card spend a little bit of my credit.

The dispute is because I see two inquires i dont reconginize so maybe if i dispute it they will tell me for sure.

You could use the other cards just pay them to $0 before the statement cuts.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nelson!  My comments below in blue.

@Anonymous wrote:

You can get your credit reports from ACR, but not your scores.

Very understandable.  There are free tools that will enable you to pull your reports frequently.  Karma is great for that (just ignore their scores) and it will give you EQ and TU.  Here's another tool that will give you your Experian report and a FICO for free each month:

https://www.creditscore.com/

Finally, a nice ultra-low-lost solution is the $1 trial at Credit Check Total, which will give you an attractive 3-bureau report and a FICO 8 for each bureau as well.  Many people choose to repeat the $1 trial as often as once per month.

Google the creditor names (as they appear on the report) and you may well be eventually able to figure out who the companies are and find a contact number for them.  Then call them and ask the rep at the company if they can explain more about the company and whether they have a record of doing an inquiry on you.

The dispute process is almost never a good idea for inquiries.  And even for non-inquuries, disputes are best when you are 100% certain that the information is faulty in some specific way.  You are at this point unsure you know who the creditor is.  (And as I say, disputing inquiries almost never works.)

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't cold app for cards. Meaning just apply. You'll run up alot of inquiries and take hits on your score for each one and not even get the card. If you're wanting a certain card, let's just say American Express for example, Google American Express pre approved credit card and go that route but make sure you're at their pre approved site. It typically has you check a box at the end that says this is not an actual application, it won't affect your credit score etc. Type in your info and see what happens.

If it says congratulations or you're pre approved for this card etc then you have a better chance for it but not a guarantee. If it says you may like or we suggest this card or some other verbage similar to that then it's a no go usually. So don't app for it and take the hit on your score and get the inquiry. And never go by what Credit Karma says your approval odds are for a certain card and go through them. Go straight to the issuers site.

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You could use the other cards just pay them to $0 before the statement cuts.

Yeah thats what I been doing with this one card i have pay it before the due date, usually a week after I spend money on my credit card so i dont forget.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Nelson!  My comments below in blue.

@Anonymous wrote:

You can get your credit reports from ACR, but not your scores.

Very understandable.  There are free tools that will enable you to pull your reports frequently.  Karma is great for that (just ignore their scores) and it will give you EQ and TU.  Here's another tool that will give you your Experian report and a FICO for free each month:

https://www.creditscore.com/

Finally, a nice ultra-low-lost solution is the $1 trial at Credit Check Total, which will give you an attractive 3-bureau report and a FICO 8 for each bureau as well.  Many people choose to repeat the $1 trial as often as once per month.

Google the creditor names (as they appear on the report) and you may well be eventually able to figure out who the companies are and find a contact number for them.  Then call them and ask the rep at the company if they can explain more about the company and whether they have a record of doing an inquiry on you.

The dispute process is almost never a good idea for inquiries.  And even for non-inquuries, disputes are best when you are 100% certain that the information is faulty in some specific way.  You are at this point unsure you know who the creditor is.  (And as I say, disputing inquiries almost never works.)

So the reports you get from ACR is kinda the same as credit karma where i can see the accounts i have under each 3 credit company.

Is FICO 8 another word for your credit score.

Thanks for the replies

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.