Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CreditCheckTotal is a scam...

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: CreditCheckTotal is a scam...

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally, I subscribe to CCT and so far it's operated better than advertised. In addition to the 3 bureau reports with FICO scores up to 3 times per month, Experian report with FICO score updates daily.

Can anyone advise if the Experian daily updating only takes place once beyond the seven day trial or you see/saw it during the trial as well?  I am on day three of the trial, with the Experian report and score showing  "Generated:  June 14".  I assume this is a limitation of the trial, but just thought I would check.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updates daily after the 7 day trial is over. That explains why I didn't think EX updated daily when I first signed up, because it doesn't initially. After the trial, it does. Great way to keep abreast of many changes without using a 3 full reports pull, which is limited to 3 times per month.

Message 12 of 19
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

I am also wondering how that is a scam?  They have it plastered all over the place that it is $1 for the first seven days and the $29.xx/month after that if you don't cancel.  

What aspect is a scam?

The business I work for also has a recurring transaction. But in order to purchase it, the customer MUST check a box saying that they understand it is a recurring charge and they will be billed every month until they cancel. 

Then they call us some months later claiming they didn't know and yell at us that they want everything refunded and that we're a scam. Takes all my energy not to laugh at them. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 13 of 19
EW800
Valued Contributor

As a side comment to this thread, I will mention that Experian is still offering the $14.97/mo for 24 months of CreditCheck Total.  I just called them, stated that I was in the seven day trial, however I thought the $29.95/mo rate was a bit steep.  The rep immediately offered the $14.97/mo deal!   I think this is a very good deal of for a 3B report 3 times a month, with FICO 8 scores!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 14 of 19
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
CreditCheckTotal is a scam...

You don't seem to understand what the word means.  The headline about the trial offer can be misinstrepreted but this is disclosed on the page:

This is disclosed on the page:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION When you order your $1 3-Bureau Credit Report & FICO® Scores, you will begin your 7-day trial membership in CreditCheck® Total. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period**, you will be billed $29.95 for each month that you continue your membership. You may cancel your trial membership anytime within the trial period without charge.

Failure to read/understand on your part does not make it a scam on their part.

If you're not reading that info then make sure you're reading the terms and conditions for all of your credit accounts as well as any other terms fo things such as rewards programs, balance transfers, etc.

Never rely soley on banners, ad material, etc.  Always make sure you read and understand the terms.

That's like your significant other telling you to read the map to know where you're going! That's just silly! Smiley Tongue

Message 15 of 19
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

As a side comment to this thread, I will mention that Experian is still offering the $14.97/mo for 24 months of CreditCheck Total.  I just called them, stated that I was in the seven day trial, however I thought the $29.95/mo rate was a bit steep.  The rep immediately offered the $14.97/mo deal!   I think this is a very good deal of for a 3B report 3 times a month, with FICO 8 scores!

Can you personally verify that?  It would seem a good deal if you got FICO for each CB, 3x/month.  However, according to CCT FAQ they state:

Which credit bureau report is my FICO® Score based on?
As part of your membership, CreditCheckTotal uses your Experian Credit Report to calculate your FICO® Score powered by Experian. For an additional one-time fee, you can also see your Equifax and TransUnion Credit Reports and applicable FICO® Scores when you order your 3-Bureau Report & FICO® Scores.                    

Message 16 of 19
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

Can you personally verify that?  It would seem a good deal if you got FICO for each CB, 3x/month.  However, according to CCT FAQ they state:

Which credit bureau report is my FICO® Score based on?
As part of your membership, CreditCheckTotal uses your Experian Credit Report to calculate your FICO® Score powered by Experian. For an additional one-time fee, you can also see your Equifax and TransUnion Credit Reports and applicable FICO® Scores when you order your 3-Bureau Report & FICO® Scores.                    

Hmmm, on the front page it states:

More Value:Experian®, Transunion®, and Equifax® Credit Reports & FICO® Scores 3 Times a month with membership.

In the FAQ area, I see:

What’s included in my CreditCheckTotal℠ membership?

As a CreditCheckTotal member, you enjoy the following benefits:

• Unlimited access to your Experian® Credit Report as well as three 3 Bureau Reports and 3 FICO scores (every 30 days)
  • Daily Credit Monitoring and Alerts
  • Bi-Monthly Score Monitoring and Alerts
  • Score Simulator
  • $50,000 Product Guarantee*
  • ChildSecure®
  • CardSafe™
*Due to New York state law restrictions, the CreditCheckTotal Guarantee cannot be offered to residents of New York.

I also see the spot you are talking about as well. Not sure about that 1 time fee.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone made it the full 7 days without calling to cancel?

I signed up on 6/14/15 and supposedly I can update in 3 days

"3 days until you can refresh your 3-Bureau Credit Report with Scores at no additional cost."

I know I have had some activity in the past few days.

My account says my next billing date is the 6/24/15 and that would be 10 days.

I couldn't get a definitive answer out of their customer service.

I'm inclined to cancel and see if i get the discounted rate.

Can't be any worse than the fact that myfico isn't updating my EX or TU for significant changes and has been very slow to update my EQ for the same.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been a CCT member since the 3rd without calling in to cancel. The trial is advertised as 7 days, but is actually a little longer, to allow time for bureau monitoring to fully activate, with rebilling occurring on or around day 10. On or around day 7, EX and score will update daily on login. And free 3 bureau reports with scores refresh becomes available. Hope this helps.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.