Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CreditKarma

tag
estukay
New Contributor

CreditKarma

I check my creditkarma score and its gone down from 724 to 657. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 

I opened two new accounts and one reported a balance of 276 and i went own all those points.

My Discover FICO score was 700 however.  

I hope my score stays in the 700s Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: CreditKarma

@estukay wrote:

I check my creditkarma score and its gone down from 724 to 657. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 

I opened two new accounts and one reported a balance of 276 and i went own all those points.

I would take ck score with grain of salt. My ck score is 743 and discover fico is 807. Pretty big difference as well. I think ck doesn't take into account closed accounts still on your credit report or something weird like that

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 12
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@estukay wrote:

I would take ck score with grain of salt. My ck score is 743 and discover fico is 807. Pretty big difference as well. I think ck doesn't take into account closed accounts still on your credit report or something weird like that

+1000

CK only factors open accounts in the FAKO score.  It is a decent site to monitor and track some items.  The score is useless however.  Nothing to worry over.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 3 of 12
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I closed my Ck account. It wasn't even worth it. FICO is the only true score.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 12
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I have mixed feelings about CK. One time, I had a student loan reported onto my TU report and the score I had on there even though I had only had my credit card for about a month or two at the time went from something in the 710s to the lower 600s just because of that. VantageScore is I guess the most accurate score they have and don't even get me started on those Auto and Home insurance scores they have on their site.

It's also funny how it said one time that I had poor credit even though I checked my TU FICO score and it was almost around a 660! Now it's reporting as me having fair credit.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I have mixed feelings about CK. One time, I had a student loan reported onto my TU report and the score I had on there even though I had only had my credit card for about a month or two at the time went from something in the 710s to the lower 600s just because of that. VantageScore is I guess the most accurate score they have and don't even get me started on those Auto and Home insurance scores they have on their site.

It's also funny how it said one time that I had poor credit even though I checked my TU FICO score and it was almost around a 660! Now it's reporting as me having fair credit.

I just use ck mostly for monitoring purposes. Its nice its updated weekly 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 12
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I just use ck mostly for monitoring purposes. Its nice its updated weekly 

It really has been a good tool to keep track of my spending, utilization, accounts, and a lot more so I check mainly for that and that it does the job the FAKO services I had did. I just wish they didn't have those auto and home scores up, They don't serve much of a purpose right now IMO.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

CK is great for free weekly access to the TU data and their monitoring doesn't suck.

The scores, bleh.  Just to confuse it further, I added a Fidelity Amex to my personal CR, my Beacon 5 didn't budge, nor did my CK.  Good times!

        
Message 8 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@estukay wrote:

Why are you worried about it?  It's a FAKO.  No creditor uses it.

@estukay wrote:

II opened two new accounts and one reported a balance of 276 and i went own all those points.

And no point worrying over utilization either.  Adjust it and it will rebound.

@mongstradamus wrote:

I would take ck score with grain of salt. My ck score is 743 and discover fico is 807.

CK 758, FICO 796 here.

@maiden_girl wrote:

I closed my Ck account. It wasn't even worth it. FICO is the only true score.

However, even with FICO there isn't just one model and even if you take a single FICO model scores can cary if data in reports vary (due to reporting differences or scores being based on reports pulled on different dates).  CK is useful for monitoring IMO.

Message 9 of 12
LordP
Contributor

DONT TRUST CK. Credit Karma says I have a 601 TU but Bank says I have 631 TU and Fico Says I have a 628 TU Credit Karma scores are rough estimates based off of Vantage 3.0 they're for education purposes really. Most Banks still use Fico so go with FICO for more accuracy.

Out the Garden again waiting on CLI season at NFCU
Secured Unsecured
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.