Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor Extortion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditor Extortion?

I had an interesting experience that I not only question the ethics of, but also the legality. My credit is excellent and has been between 780 and 810 for the past 8 years. About a week ago a $199 derogotory charge shows up on my credit report from 6 years prior. It was a gym membership that I apparently forgot to close out when I moved. Anyhow, when I noticed the drop in my score (643) I immediately called the collection agency and asked if I could have it removed completely from my credit report. The collection agency said that if I paid it in full and paid an additional $50 the creditor would remove it completely.

I did it because fighting it would have taken forever, but I question this. It seems like extortion to me Creditors have historically been willing to remove items just for receiving payment. Now, it's almost like they know the customer will want it removed so they are trying to make money from it. Is this legal?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creditor Extortion?

If they used those exact words it would posibly be illegal-

They MUST stay within the terms of your original contract- these ussually includes "reasonable collection costs"

I would just be glag they are removing- that Collection would cost you alot more $ than that long term.
Message 2 of 5
jackg
Established Contributor

Report it to the Attorney General in you state.
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay them, get the delete - then file a complaint with your and thier state AGs, also the FTC.
Message 4 of 5
cobra19
Valued Contributor

I would gladly pay the $50 for a delete. Is it extortion? I dunno - seems it could be called a "handling charge" or something. Banks charge a $35 "overdraft" fee.

Extortion? What about ccc thay offer you an initial CL of $250 or $300 BUT only if you pay a "set-up" fee, a "monthly" fee and god-knows-what else fee. By the time you start your $300 card, you have about $60 bucks available. Isn't that extortion?

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.