cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor called today. Old collection from 2001. Do I ignore his calls?

tag
ah32
Frequent Contributor

Creditor called today. Old collection from 2001. Do I ignore his calls?

So, I get a call today for an old collection.  I'm actually disputing it right now which is probably why they are calling.  I am sure the date is past the SOL.  I told him that I wasn't sure of the account, but I would check and he can call back tomorrow.  I asked him the date of the last payment.  He told me March of 2001.  I'm certain it's really back in 2000, but I'm not sure what to do at this point.  Do I ignore his calls? I don't want to admit to the debt and start any more problems when, according to his records, the account will be 7 years old in March of 2008.  Any advice?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creditor called today. Old collection from 2001. Do I ignore his calls?

There's no way I would talk to a CA on the phone until I was ready to sue.
Message 2 of 6
ah32
Frequent Contributor

He called from an area code in the state I recognized.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have answered.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would pay an attorney $50 just to have a letter sent to this collector, telling him to go away and stay away.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

send a DV  CMRRR. he might either disappear or go into violation.
When DV  make sure that you add comments like        to validate send complete documentation with signiture...name -address-phone of OC. and the normal stuff.

Do not talk on phone!!!!  most will lie.

Only WAIT  30 days from time that they sign for CMRRR. Then if they did not answer or did not have detailed info. Then you send next letter.

Gte DOFD from CRA.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

ah32 wrote:
I asked him the date of the last payment.  He told me March of 2001.  I'm certain it's really back in 2000

DOLP isn't important. DOFD is. Like HappyDays said, call the CRA and find out what they are reporting.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.