Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cryptic Agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cryptic Agency

I have 2 collections shown on a credit report where both the creditor and collection agency show as an unidentifiable series of crypric numbers and letters.  How am I supposed to track down these companies? I have requested clarification from the reporting agencies and have not yet received a response.  Is this common & how should I respond?

Thanks
Do
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Cryptic Agency

Sounds like a medical collection.  Does any information on it look familiar?  I would do nothing until you get a response back.  You did a regular dispute?  What reason did you use?  If I did not recognize it I would have disputed as 'not mine' instead of asking them to clarify.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I told them that I couldn't dispute them if I couldn't identify them.  If I find out that they are mine I was going to try the pay for delete letter.  Do you think medical collections are less inclined to respond to a PFD?

Message 3 of 13
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I understand how you proceeded.  For people doing this the first time though, if you don't recognize something it really is best to dispute as 'not mine' as the burden of proof is on them not you. 

So these are on all 3 reports?  Are any past SOL?  What dates are showing? 

Hopefully they will wipe them, but if they detail them further and at that point you recognize them, yes PFD.

You should try to settle with the OC by way of PFD if they still own the debt though. That will remove all info (even CA) that is related.  If the debt was actually sold to the CA, proceed with them in the same way.  No they are not less inclined, probably more inclined IMHO especially if you find out the OC still owns it.  Both will usually settle for less and the OC in a medical collection will typically be the least expensive to settle with.

Message Edited by SmartCookie on 10-17-2007 11:55 AM
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are only showing on Equifax, for both me and my wife. Last report date jan 2005. Now that I look closer it shows they are paid. Was it a mistake to bring attention to them? Will they now report differently since I asked for info?
Message 5 of 13
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

First, do nothing until you get your dispute results.

Now, is this the same identical collection that is appearing on both of your reports, or different ones with the same company?

Report date doesn't mean much.  What other dates are showing?  Cut and paste both if you can, for both the OC and CA on each of your reports (4 TLs), removing any identifying information.

Also, do you recall who you paid what to when?  The OC or the CA?

Message Edited by SmartCookie on 10-17-2007 12:30 PM
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go. It's the same info for both me and my wife.

Collection on debt to: Not on Record

The collection agency "728yc00000" was hired to collect a debt of $373 originally owed to "Not on Record" on account number "XXX0825".

Collection agency [?] 728yc00000
Original balance [?] $373
Current balance (as of Jan 01,2005) [?] $0
Status (as of Jan 01, 2005) [?] Paid
Date assigned [?] Dec 01, 2003
Date reported [?] Jan 01, 2005
Date last active [?] Mar 01, 2003
Original lender [?] Not on Record
Account number [?] XXX0825
Account holder [?] Individual

Collection on debt to: Not on Record

The collection agency "728yc00000" was hired to collect a debt of $50 originally owed to "Not on Record" on account number "XXX0818".

Collection agency [?] 728yc00000
Original balance [?] $50
Current balance (as of Jan 01,2005) [?] $0
Status (as of Jan 01, 2005) [?] Paid
Date assigned [?] Dec 01, 2003
Date reported [?] Jan 01, 2005
Date last active [?] Mar 01, 2003
Original lender [?] Not on Record
Account number [?] XXX0818
Account holder [?] Individual
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pull a report directly from EQ.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will -
maybe you could help me out with this one, too.
Message 9 of 13
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Ok the both the paid $373 and the $50 should drop March 2010 even if you did nothing.  My question is whose bill was this, yours or your wife's, or did you both have the same seperate bills?  If it was just one of you, the other disputes as 'not mine'.

Hopefully your current disputes will result in having this all dropped off.  Since there is only a little over 2 years left on this, I think it's going to be wiped.

When did you dispute and has the status come in yet?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.