Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU - CSR's Don't Have a Clue!

tag
AirlinerDudeB6
Regular Contributor

DCU - CSR's Don't Have a Clue!

Yesterday I decieded to apply  with DCU to refinance my Auto Loan.  I am currently with Capital One Auto Finance, but my APR is 4.87%. 

DCU approved my application instantly at 1.74% for the full amount.  

Next comes the Membership...

After reading some posts on here about calling DCU member services after you apply for the loan to have them use the same HP for your membership, I decided to give it a shot.

I was connected to a woman who was nice (although sounded like she was 16).  I advised her that I was just approved for an auto loan with DCU and wanted to know if she could use the same credit pull to open my membership.  She said, and I quote... "We don't have to pull your credit to open the membership and savings account".  I asked her twice if she was sure, and both times she assured me that there would be no credit inquiry.

We went through the entire application (which she tells me after its all over, all she did was use the same application that I could have done myself on their website)...she reads the "legal stuff" and asks if I agree.  I said that I agree under the condition that no hard credit pull or inquiry will be made.  Again she assured me that there was no need to pull my credit report. 

I'm sure you saw this coming but....BAM ...2 hard pulls from DCU yesterday.  One for the loan and one for the membership.

I'm not sure if it's even worth trying to talk to a supervisor or manager with DCU about this....but I just wanted to let everyone know my experience with trying to get them to use only one HP.

And yes, I do realize that it is "normal" for them to pull twice, however there were many people on here that said they were successful when calling in and asking them to use the same HP.

Discover It - $25.5k | Sam's Club MasterCard - $25k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $23.8k | Amex EveryDay - $23k | Barclays JetBlue - $23k | Citi TYP - $7.1k | Cap1 Quicksilver WMC - $7k | Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature - $6.5k | Chase Freedom - $3.2k | Amex Gold - NPSL |
TU 08 FICO - 812 | EQ 08 FICO - 799 | EX 08 FICO - 793 |

Utilization - 16% | AAOA - 4.3 years | In Garden - Since 9/6/16
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

Re: DCU - CSR's Don't Have a Clue!

That sucks!

The hard pulls is why i haven't opened a DCU account yet. I want to wait until some fall off my report first.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 2 of 3
dave024
New Contributor

Re: DCU - CSR's Don't Have a Clue!

I've been reading a lot about DCU recently and haven't heard any reports of people who were able to get a loan as a new member with only one hard pull. Everyone specifically says the opposite, that the credit and membership departments are separate and two hard pulls are needed. Sorry to hear that you were misled by the CSR though. At least the membership went through. I hear quite a few reports of people who were pulled twice and denied a membership.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.