Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU HPs

tag
Jeeper44
Valued Member

DCU HPs

Thanks to the information on this site, and working through my credit issues, I have managed to get my FICO from 535 a little over a year ago up to 700. Some of the issues fell off naturally, some I was able to get removed. Last year I purchased a car and the best interest rate I could get, even though I was putting over 20% down, was 10%. Two weeks ago I purchased a used pickup truck and DCU gave me a loan with an interest rate of 3.49%.

I was corresponding with DCUs customer support over some of their other products, as I have been unhappy with my current CUs customer support and don't mind switching. DCU emailed and said I could apply for thier Visa card, which can be automatically linked to my accounts to provide overdraft protection at no charge. They also stated that as long as I obtained a loan within 45 days they would not have to do a hard pull, they can just use the report they have on file. As I had nothing to loose I went a head and applied.

Today I got  an alert from USAA about a hard pull on my report. I updated my reports and found 2 new HPs from DCU. I bought the truck on the 6th and on that day there are two HPs on Experian, one from the truck dealer the 2nd shows as "CUDL/DCU". Then on the 9th there is a HP from Equifax just showing "DCU". As they are two different CRAs I suspect the Equifax pull was probably a loan underwriting check for the truck purchase. On the 17th, the day I applied for the Visa, there is a 2nd HP from DCU on Experian. I know that this is really a trivial issue, as two pulls 8 days apart from the same lender probably won't raise any red flags with other lenders. I just bugs me that they told me they wouldn't do an HP and it appears they did it anyway.

FWIW, in the beginning of the year I got a Walmart store card (denied for the Discovery) with a $300CL. Last month I applied to Cap. One just trying to get some utilization as I had no revolving accounts before. Cap one gave me a card with a $500CL with the autosteps up to $750 if I'm a good boy. When I applied at DCU I told them I had no CL in mind so they went ahead an approved me for a $5000CL. Quite a jump in 4 months, but I've been working it. This summer a paid tax lein and an old repossession fall off so I can't wait to see my score then.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: DCU HPs

Thanks for the info and congrats on the approval!

I have been thinking about DCU, and would probably go with them if path with Discover doesn't work out the way I like. Could you share your credit profile at the time of the approval for their VISA? Thank you.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 5
Jeeper44
Valued Member

@SwiftTone wrote:

Thanks for the info and congrats on the approval!

I have been thinking about DCU, and would probably go with them if path with Discover doesn't work out the way I like. Could you share your credit profile at the time of the approval for their VISA? Thank you.

The FICO pulled at the dealership was 700. Here its showing as 666 1 month ago. My Walmart score is 650.

None of my bad credit is recent. I had one 30 day on my mortgage 3 years ago. Everything else is 6-7 years including a reposession, two paid tax liens and a judgement.

As far as good credit: mortgage, auto loan that was 1 year old, Harley loan that was 11 months old, the Cap One card from last month and the walmart card from January. With only $900 of available credit on the two cards, I had a balance listed of $95 for a utilization of just about 11%.  Plus they had just approved the truck loan for $20k the week before. They financed 90% of the truck value. They would have gone 100% but I kept my car and motorcycle.

One advantage for me is with the loan and signing up for paperless statements I get my FICO monthly for free. I don't recall if they use Equifax or Experian but its one of the two.

Message 3 of 5
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Dont they advertise that they finance 110% of the car cost or soemthing?

What is your AAoA, Income? I read that CL from CUs is largely determined by income, thats why I ask. You can private message me if you don't want to share with the world.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 5
Jeeper44
Valued Member

@SwiftTone wrote:

Dont they advertise that they finance 110% of the car cost or soemthing?

What is your AAoA, Income? I read that CL from CUs is largely determined by income, thats why I ask. You can private message me if you don't want to share with the world.

My AAoA is 5 years and income is 72k.

They do the 110% on autos. They wouldn't on mine because I was keeping my car and motorcycle loans.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.