Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU and free FICO

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

DCU and free FICO

Applied for a DCU membership today. They sforaid cause I don't work for an affiliated company I need to make a one time donation of 10 dollars to become a member.  I am going to direct deposit my pay for my second job there so I will qualify for a free FICO score and am going to apply  for a credit builder loan there also. They were very friendly over the phone with me.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: DCU and free FICO

They say you have to DD to get the FICO but I had my account for several months and didn't touch it other than opening it and the FICO came faithfully every month.  I know have a car loan with them so it will continue regardless but for six months or so it always came. So you may want to hold off on the DD if it's more convenient for it to go to a local bank.

Message 2 of 9
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

They say you have to DD to get the FICO but I had my account for several months and didn't touch it other than opening it and the FICO came faithfully every month.  I know have a car loan with them so it will continue regardless but for six months or so it always came. So you may want to hold off on the DD if it's more convenient for it to go to a local bank.

Thank you for the advice. DCU is kinda a local bank actually. The branch isn't too far away. I just got a second job and I plan on keeping my earnings from it separated from my primary bank. I guess what I'm saying is that i was planning on DD my pay there not just because of the free FICO score, although that helps. DCU FICO score is an EXP Beacon 5.0 score as I understand it so between that and my Walmart card I will be receiving the two Fico scores from different CRAs for free. I can then choose to pay for the TU98 score from this site if I wish to compare it to the TU08 score that Walmart publishes.

Message 3 of 9
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

Nice, they gave me a response to my application saying they denied me because they couldn't verify my info even though I gave them what they asked for (ie. driver's license, social security card, etc.).

I live in VA although I grew up in MA.  Hoping I can try to apply again in a few months and get approved.

Was going to apply for the Walmart card as well but was hoping to get into DCU first.

Message 4 of 9
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@iDShaDoW wrote:

Nice, they gave me a response to my application saying they denied me because they couldn't verify my info even though I gave them what they asked for (ie. driver's license, social security card, etc.).

I live in VA although I grew up in MA.  Hoping I can try to apply again in a few months and get approved.

Was going to apply for the Walmart card as well but was hoping to get into DCU first.

You certainly got the credit score for all that.

Message 5 of 9
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

I hope so.  I couldn't get much of an answer at to what they couldn't verify and why.

Scoured the internet and other people with similar experiences weren't able to pry any answers from them either even when going up the chain to the CEO and such.

I'm wondering if maybe I should join the organization that provides eligibility for the credit union ahead of time or try and have them process the application for it when they check if I'm worthy of joining DCU.

Message 6 of 9
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Just got an email and I just became a member of DCU. Yay!

Message 7 of 9
superman82216
Established Member

how do you get the free fico?  i also joined dcu with the donation last month and havent recieved anything.  Also which fico score is it.

Message 8 of 9
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@superman82216 wrote:

how do you get the free fico?  i also joined dcu with the donation last month and havent recieved anything.  Also which fico score is it.

To get your free fico score which is an Equifax Fico score, you need to get a checking account with Plus benefits. To get plus benefits you have to :

"

every month you do any 2 of the following 3 things:
  1. Direct deposit your net pay, Social Security, or pension to your checking account
  2. Receive all your DCU statements electronically3
  3. Have an active loan with DCU (such as a DCU Visa Credit Card)"

I am DDing my pay there from a second job. I needed a new bank anyway so it is just an added bonus for me getting a free fico score. Much like the Walmart FICO, the score comes once a month and you get the score plus 2 things that you should focus on to improve your score. I haven't gotten my first one yet. I just got approved for a checking account last week and need to set up my direct deposit still.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.