Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEBT vs DEBT!!

tag
MM1234
Regular Contributor

DEBT vs DEBT!!

I guess ALL debt is kinda related to credit of some sort so I hope its ok to post here.

I was wondering what you all think about GOOD DEBT vs BAD DEBT. I was reading some Suzy Orman articles and some Dave Ramsey Articles and read that Mortgages and School Loans for your kids are "GOOD DEBT" and Credit cards and Car payments "BAD DEBT".

Im almost CCard Debt free, No Car Payment and no other loans.....and was wondering when I buy a house am I no longer Debt free. I guess its ok to have debt for a house.

Just wondering....
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: DEBT vs DEBT!!

All debt is bad  LOL

Any debt that can give you equity or a profit can be cosidered good debt

Student Loan ( equity in yourself)
Car loan
Mortgage 

Any debt that just eats away from you fiscally is bad debt

Credit cards
credit cards
store cards
charge cards
credit cards
did I mention credit cards.   ( though some will agrue that good credit card history is good for your credit score but overall it can drain the life right out of you financially, so overall it's bad debt)
Loans for no purpose but just to use to raise your credit scor.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boswd, didn't you mention being a Dave Ramsey fan in another thread? If not, my mistake....must have been someone else. Dave would spank you for calling a car note "good debt." I think a good goal is 100% debt free but your mortgage in an ideal world. Unfortunately, most of us need reliable, safe cars and finance education, etc. I think Boswd is right though. I only keep my card accounts open for FICO purposes, under 10% util.
Message 3 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

I am a Dave Ramsey fan but he does have some quirkey ways about him too.  He is spot on on how to get yourself out of Debt.   Somethings I don't agree with totally is that not having ANY credit cards, which I think everyone should have at least one just in case something comes up  and his take on cars.   He has some good points but  in most cases you need a car loan and having a car does give yourself an asset. 
Message 4 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I would have to say car debt is about the worst! LOL

Nothing like investing as much as we do into a deapreciating asset.
Message 5 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

yeah I guess your right,  it is an depreciating assest  
Ok  I'm changing auto loan from good debt to bad debt  Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I've listened to Dave Ramsey on the radio. He makes good sense when he talks about becoming debt free but when he tells the Average Joe or Jane just to put their money in a mutual fund and leave it there he does them a grave disservice. Nothing goes up forever. Look at real estate. Rant off.
Message 7 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Yeah Like I said, when it comes to his getting debt free program, there is no one better in my opion, on some other topics,  eehhh,   I understand what he is saying and why, just don't totally agree with it.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Dave 100% in principal. Unfortunately, it's not my reality. I want to buy a house without getting jacked. Manual underwriting or not, if you don't have some good credit history it's doubtful you'll get prime. And as we all know....to have credit history you have to carry debt. Oh, the irony.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're driving 40 miles each way to and from work, and you're the sole bread winner, a car loan might well be good debt in that it is helping put food on your family's table.

If you're netting $5,200 a month, and you take a subprime home loan with a $2,800 PITI payment, there's a good chance it's gonna turn into bad debt.

Playing semantic games doesn't serve a lotta purpose. Everyone's situation is different.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.