Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOFD

Anooother question. Sorry, bros.
I had a collection account from a medical bill in 2002, acc't term 1 month, and the CA was showing it as reported in 5/2006. I suspected re-aging (if I understand the term...) and called the CA to ask them to put the DOFD correctly as 180 days past that date in 2002.
They stated the hospital didn't report the debt until 2006 and I should be lucky they held off on sending it to CA for so long.
I'm *kinda* happy they didn't send it for so long, but in the mean time when they were sitting on this bill, they never sent anything to ME so I could pay it before it went to CA! So that's kind of a mixed bag.
How does DOFD work in this case? It was still delinquent after 180 days, they just didn't report it, so who's right? It's paid now of course but I sure want it off my report.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sh9730
Regular Contributor

Re: DOFD

Doesnt matter how long they took to send it to CA.  The DOFD for medical is typically considered the date of service.  As for the "reporting" date the CA is using...ignore it.  You need to get copies of your reports directly from the CRAs and look at the DOFD the CA is reporting. (DOLA on EX).  If its in 06...illegal...!

MyFICO is great for many things, but they do not interpret dates from the CRAs very well when they pull the information over. 
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DOFDs I'm looking at ARE from the CRA. Sooooo....  next step is inform them of that? Got a quick link for a lazy lady to a form letter? The lady was perfectly nice, just said that they (the CA) can't control when the hospital reports.
Also, looking for whether this co is licensed/bonded in NC (where debt was incurred). The NC AG website doesn't have anything that seems to list who is able to collect, I already looked there..
Is this website http://www.azdfi.gov/Lists/CA_List.HTML#bmJ a legit source of collectors? If so, this company is not even listed as a collector.
Message 3 of 4
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

Ivy,

Since I'm up late, I'll hazard a few answers based on my limited experience.  By morning, I'm sure the PROS will check in over coffee.

You'll read this over and over here: Don't talk with the CA, communicate with them in writing.  While "good" and "ethical" ones exist, some have a reputation for being less than er.....willing to work with consumers.

In the last two months, I've had success with getting two medical collections removed:  I paid them both (insurance foul ups).  One I did have to communicate with the CA, but did it in writing.

The other, I backtracked to the OC (a hospital ER) and from there to the billing service, who was cagey at first, and after the a very rapid payment was made, I went to the top of that organization's food chain with a letter of explanation and a request for delete.  I followed THAT up with phone calls until they were tired of hearing my lovely midwest accent asking politely for them to delete this. 

From what I've read here, it seems that the general feeling is that medical things are more easily dealt with overall.  If you're able to work with the original creditor (the service provider), all the better.

atlast.....not an attorney, not a credit maven, but the slope of the learning curve is lessening (grin)

Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.