Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOLA determines EQ 7 yr reporting

tag
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

DOLA determines EQ 7 yr reporting

Yep that's what the SUPERVISOR at Equifax just told me.  Unreal!

I called because I was trying to determine the last change to my Verizon Wireless account because they changed the DOFD from 3/2006 to 8/2006.  The account had been reporting as 3/2006 up until February, which is the very month that it was supposed to fall off.  So I called EQ to find out the exact date that Verizon changed it.

I wound having to speak to a supervisor because I got so ticked off with the front line csr because she told me that "their retention of accounts is based on DOLA", and since the DOLA is 06/2011 then its 7 to 10 years from that.  I asked did she just get that job today and also told her that she was wrong and that is a violation of the FCRA and since she had no freaking clue as to what she was talking about that I needed to speak with a supervisor.  So then a Stupervisor gets on the phone and repeats the same garbage!!!  I had to educate this idiot on what the FCRA states!!!

Needless to say I clearly understand now why we can't sometimes get any justification on our disputes because the very people that are responsible for submitting our infor to the creditors are idiots.

Okay end of rant/////

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: DOLA determines EQ 7 yr reporting

If you would have said FCRA Compliance date, maybe they would have understood?

Message 2 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Actually I did say that....just figured the majority of everyone here would already know what I meant.  

So the answer is NO!

They DID NOT UNDERSTAND! 

They were telling me that the DOLA determines the 7 year reporting limit for negative reporting, not the DOFD.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The reporting of a DOFD by a creditor is always subject to dispute provided you have account records supporting a different date.

The simple fact that they changed their reported DOFD is not itself a violation if the new reporting is indeed accurate.

I would send a dispute of accuracy of the reported DOFD to the CRA, along with your supporting documentation.

The side issues of the inaccuracy of their assertion that DOFD does not control CR exclusion for a CO or collection is kinda academic until the accurate DOFD is of record.

You know you are correct in that the DOFD controls, so the important thing now is to get it accurately reported in your credit file in anticipation of any issue of its ultimate exclusion date.

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Actually I did say that....just figured the majority of everyone here would already know what I meant.  

So the answer is NO!

They DID NOT UNDERSTAND! 

They were telling me that the DOLA determines the 7 year reporting limit for negative reporting, not the DOFD.

I understood what you meant.  I was just wondering if they did not.

Message 5 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

So the answer is NO!

They DID NOT UNDERSTAND! 

I understood what you meant.  I was just wondering if they did not.

No they were totally clueless which is what irked me to death.  The supervisor even told me that all credit report agencies report the same way.  ROFLMAO!!!

I said alrighty then, well this conversation is not going anywhere so thankies and goodbye.

Message 6 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The reporting of a DOFD by a creditor is always subject to dispute provided you have account records supporting a different date.

The simple fact that they changed their reported DOFD is not itself a violation if the new reporting is indeed accurate.

I would send a dispute of accuracy of the reported DOFD to the CRA, along with your supporting documentation.

The side issues of the inaccuracy of their assertion that DOFD does not control CR exclusion for a CO or collection is kinda academic until the accurate DOFD is of record.

You know you are correct in that the DOFD controls, so the important thing now is to get it accurately reported in your credit file in anticipation of any issue of its ultimate exclusion date.

Yea I don't have any records to support that 3/2006 is the correct date other than the fact that they reported it that way for 6 years and 11 months.  However all of my accounts went bad around the same time which was around 3/2006 and before the filing of my bk.  All of the baddies disappeared at the 7 year mark but this stupid Verizon.  I think they are playing games but I know its all about what you can prove and not what you suspect to be.

It's just that the timing of the change in the very month that it should have fallen off raises a huge flag.  If the date was wrong all of these years why didn't they change it before now (rhetorical)?  

Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

EQ CSRs have been saying that for as long as I've been on here.

Message 8 of 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I would consider a formal written dispute of the change in DOFD, mailed CMRRR.  Stay off the phone.

If they validate, you can do a Method of Validation to the CRA, and a 623 letter to Verizon.

I would also file FCC and BBB complaints now against Verizon Wireless for redating the account in credit reporting.  Send copies of the complaint, again CMRRR to the Verizon CEO at their corporate HQ.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA and direct dispute processes are meant to be exclusive.... one or the other.  They are not compelled to invesigate the same issue twice.

If a dispute via a CRA has been concluded, then the direct dispute rules provide that any direct dispute filed on substantailly the same basis can be dismissed without any investigation as  frivolous or irrelevant.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.